Friday, August 28, 2015

Val Thevictorian. Now With TWO Breasts!

Val has connections, my friends. No longer does she list out of the gas station chicken store, lurching toward T-Hoe with an awkward sideways tilt, pulled off-center by her single breast.

Friday! It's FRIDAY. Bill-paying Friday, to be exact. Except Val no longer has bills to pay. More on that another day. First The Pony and I lost my mom from our bill-paying excursions, and now we've lost our bill. However, I had promised The Pony a Rally's mini funnel cake today. After all, I thought I would be driving to bill-paying town, the location of Rally's, to pay the house bill. But we don't have it anymore. Still. The Pony was hankerin' for a funnel cake.

On the way, he decided to have a burger for supper. With a funnel cake appetizer, and a funnel cake dessert. Except he didn't want to founder himself, so later he stashed one in Frig II for tomorrow. Anyhoo...we sent Hick a text to see if he, too, wanted a burger. No funnel cake. We got no answer. Since Rally's was fast approaching, I told The Pony to call Hick. He chastised me because it was the time Hick normally gets in his car that was my mom's, and starts the drive home. I told him to send one more text explaining that it was almost too late to Rally.

Wouldn't you know it! Within one minute, Hick sent a cryptic text. "Rallies is fine in meeting." He called about 20 minutes later.

"I was in a meeting. I couldn't answer. My phone kept going off. So I checked it. It made a mess of the meeting."

"WHAT? Don't you turn your phone off when you're in a meeting?"

"No. Sometimes. If I remember."

"What kind of employee doesn't turn his phone off in a meeting? It's a MEETING! For WORK! We always turn our phones off when we have a meeting. We're professionals."

"Huh. It was okay. No harm done."

"Then why are you making a big deal of it? How was I supposed to know you were in a meeting? In fact, when you didn't answer, I told The Pony you must be in a meeting. 'He'll see it when he's out,' I said. Because I was sure you would have your phone turned off if you were in a meeting."

"No. It was on."

Seriously. That guy will be lucky if he makes it to retirement. This Val will be MORE lucky if he makes it to retirement. Anyhoo...the point it that Hick requested a burger while we were pulling up to the Rally's speaker. That meant I didn't have to warm up any food in the oven or heat it in the microwave. So I decided to have gas station chicken, my old friend, when I picked up a Friday evening celebratory 44 oz Diet Coke.

I bellied up to the chicken counter and asked for my usual. A breast. The jolly chicken gal missing a front tooth was training a new guy. She told him, "Give her two. We're backed up with chicken. I've got another tray going now. We have been slow on chicken for a Friday. We need to get rid of some to make room."

Let the record show it was 4:45, nearing the get-off-work rush. I suppose this being the last weekend of the month, and the Labor Day holiday coming up next weekend, folks are saving their chicken money.

"Okay. So I put in two?"

"Yeah. But not with everybody! I only give them to my regulars. She's a regular."

Heh, heh. That there is proof that Val is not irregular, by cracky!

So...I went in to buy one breast, paid for one breast, and left with TWO BREASTS!

It's who you know, people. It's who you know.

14 comments:

  1. Do you think they would do that for me? (I had a mastectomy, you know!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine they would. They're good people. You might have to flash them a couple of times, but if you go in at least once a week, they'll consider you family.

      Except maybe that stern old cashier who begrudges me my scratch-off tickets. Still, I can tell that she likes me. We are kindred spirits. She doesn't dish out the chicken, or folks would just get feathers and bones.

      Delete
  2. You scored free chicken? If only you could use your powers for a greater good, like free chicken for ME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was free, it was real, and it's going to be spectacular tomorrow for lunch with a mini side of super nachos. You will have to come closer than the other side of the Rockies for free gas station chicken.

      Note To Self: leave your camera at home. They are leery of outsiders now. Thanks to a certain Madam below.

      Delete
  3. What about if someone went in with a camera and took some flashy pictures? Would THEy get two breasts?

    Or a boot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect, Madam, that one would be fortunate to escape with one's very own two breasts if one pulled this stunt again. Hypothetically typing, of course.

      Try to keep up, please. They serve BREASTS! Not boots! No boots. What's a-matter, you take all your sneakers to the Mom and Pop store for repairs?

      Delete
    2. I should have said THE boot, not a boot. The visions of working for the next 90 years, instead of the next 9 MONTHS, is blurring my thinking.

      Delete
    3. You might be interested to know that Val will be swimming in the jury duty pool from Sept 1 until Dec 31. Of course it's not as grand as your secret swimming pool in the teachers' workroom, but it DOES provide a recreational boost from the vocational grindstone.

      Delete
  4. To me they would probably say "You're from New Jersey?...NO CHICKEN FOR YOU!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I am sure they would. And if you tried to explain yourself, they might say, "JERK!"

      Even Steven has a way of balancing the scales for those have pleasant, efficient transactions at the DMV.

      Delete
  5. Reminds me of the time my cousin and I were waiting in KFC and a 13 year old came in and ordered, "I'd like two large breasts." We were adults and snickered like 13 year olds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND that 13-year-old had to pay for BOTH breasts, I'll wager! While you and your cousin did not have to pay for the wages of insolence.

      Here's one for your 13-year-old self. I imagine that double-breasted 13-year-old would have gotten a little testy (heh, heh, I never get tired of that one, I'd use it every day if people would set me up) if you had been overheard.

      Delete
  6. You had me worried at the beginning of this post. Then I couldn't figure out what Hick had to do with it. Then you pulled it all together at the end. Good job of manning (or womaning) the breastworks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let the record show that Val often worries people, and confuses them, and barely pulls it together in the end. Get used to it!

      Or get a little testy. (heh, heh)

      Delete