Friday, December 5, 2014

Of Course This Is Not Val's Fault

Val cannot perform even the simplest task without having to face the fact that she's a weirdo magnet.

Take a call to the doctor's office, for instance. Can Val get service in a professional and timely manner? Not-heaven NO! Val must jump through hoops and endure sarcasm dripping from that secretary's mouth like slime dripping from THE ALIEN. If only Sigourney Weaver had been holding her head to my work phone receiver, she would have interceded on my behalf: "Get away from her, you B*TCH!"

I only called to double-check my six-month appointment. Seriously. How much are we supposed to remember? I knew the day. That's because it's on Hick's birthday. But somehow over the past six months, the time of the appointment escaped me. Criminy! You'd think we should be writing it down or something.

Secrete-ary verified my appointment date, and told me it was at 9:15. Then I asked about the lab I was supposed to have the week before. This crappy insurance of mine is not one that lets the doctor's lab take my blood. Nope. I have to hike down the elevator one floor and sit with a million other people with crappy insurance to have my blood drawn. So I could not remember if they had given me a form to take to the lab telling which vital levels should be tested.

"Didn't we give you a form?"

"I don't remember."

"Well, if you don't have it, you will need to call our office the day before, and we will send one down to the lab."

That sounded like a recipe for disaster. They are not the most efficient of staff since Doc switched over to the dark side and joined the hospital clinic. In the past, they wrote up the order, and somebody like my mom or even my own self dropped by to pick it up in person.

"Okay. Call and you'll send the order down the day before. Are you closed any days?"

Silence. "It's a DOCTOR'S OFFICE. We are open Monday through Friday."

Well, excuuuuuuuse me! The doctor used to be off on Wednesday, and nothing could get done because he had to approve it himself. So pardon me for asking, lest I schedule a day off work, fast for 12 hours, and show up to find out that my blood cannot be taken that day.

Those gals are so snotty, I might just take them a box of Puffs With Lotion.

Next time I will rent a safe deposit box and deposit my appointment information and lab order inside. Apparently I'm the only woman on earth who does not remember dates and times for six months, and has no knowledge of how to program that crap into an electronic gewgaw, and has instead depended on her mother to write it down on her calendar, except that now my mother is in the hospital, not completely unrelated to that major misstep made by Doc in attempting to take off her skin lesion in his office, thus leaving at least one cell behind.

Val is what one might now call a hostile patient. With more magnetic weirdo force, it seems.

9 comments:

  1. The doctors staff should not mess with TheDictorian, least they taste some sharp tongue wit and sarcasm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worse is dealing with the BS. Billing Staff holds the title for sarcasm at my doctor's office. "You did not meet your deductible. You get it?" If I got it, I'd have ...oh well, you know what I'm going through. Is your mom okay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one of the reasons I avoid going to the doctor's office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm catching up on blog posts, but for you, I'll need a month! Ha. I hope your mom is okay. And yes, I wonder about snooty people on the other end... seems like... well I better just be nice and keep my mouth shut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My doctor makes me fill out a card which they mail to me for my next appointment. They mail the card months in advance. I tell them if you don't call to remind me a few days before I won't be there. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A box of Puffs With Lotion is most certainly in order. Be sure to explain the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. joeh,
    Agreed, They be thirstin' for some acid tongue and sarcasm should things not go exactly as Val plans. They are, of course, safe from irony. Immune, you might say. As if they'd been inoculated.

    *****
    Linda,
    Don't get me started on Billing. I dared object to paying the same bill thrice, and was told there was no record of my payment. After Hick traipsed down there on a day off, with a copy of the canceled check from the bank, Billing conceded that indeed, we HAD paid on time, but that they transposed two numbers when the data was entered.

    Mom is on the road to recovery, pending further tests. She's stirrin' things up in her acute care therapy wing.

    *****
    Donna,
    The reason I would most like to avoid the doctor's office is that it is full of SICK PEOPLE!

    *****
    Lynn,
    Val is nothing if not long-winded and prolific. Mom is on the mend. I know how it feels to be frustrated on the job. But if all I had to do was be nice on the phone to people I don't have to deal with directly...I think I could manage.

    *****
    Stephen,
    My blood-thinner doctor told me to make an appointment for a year later. Like I would remember THAT! His office girl told me they will send out a postcard. We'll see.

    *****
    Leenie,
    Maybe I should attach a card. It would have said, "To the snottiest medical professional I have ever encountered." But today, I encountered one that pushed this one back a notch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Draw some eyebrows on with a Sharpie before you go in. And make them angry eyebrows...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sioux,
    That's a most scathingly brilliant idea! If I forget my appointment, I can always take some dog medicine until they can work me in.

    ReplyDelete