Monday, March 18, 2013

"Val's Literary Caricatures" Hangs Out a Shingle

I just had the most scathingly brilliant idea!

Because I don't have enough activities to keep me busy, enough appointments on my calendar, enough goodies to fill my plate, because I have not yet been able to bite off more than I can chew, because my eyes are never bigger than my fingers...I have created a new business sideline.

I'm going to be a literary caricature artist!

Here's how it will work. I'll travel the country, setting up a booth at town picnics, county fairs, regional food festivals, renaissance fairs, hillbilly shindigs, and LARP-ings. That's right. And for one thin ten-dollar bill, I will craft a knee-slappin' paragraph exaggerating your most unappealing physical features or personality traits. A literary caricature! Who could turn that down? And, because it's better to give than to receive, I will offer my services online. Think how a loved one's face will light up when you present them with an original Val literary caricature! No more need to wrack your brain for a gift idea on Boss's Day, Secretary's Day, your mother-in-law's birthday, or special anniversaries. Just fill me in on a person's idiosyncrasies, and I'll do the rest.

What can ten dollars buy these days, anyway? Twelve-and-a-half 80-cent 44 oz. Diet Cokes? Twenty-one first-class stamps, with enough left over for an 80-cent Diet Coke if you can borrow six cents? Ten McDonald's grilled onion cheddar burgers? Even Val can tell you that a literary caricature would be a healthier alternative. In fact, you might lose weight. From laughing your butt off!

Don't have a thin ten? I'm willing to barter. Just about anything reasonable will do. However, I must draw the line. No apple cores, kites, dead rats (even with strings to swing them), marbles, blue bottle-glass, tadpoles, kittens with one eye, brass doorknobs, knife handles, orange peels, or dilapidated window sashes. I will not be mocked.

Val's Literary Caricatures. Framing and gift-wrapping available.

I'll leave you with a sample:

Gertrude was a stern, statuesque woman, upon whose head no pigeon dared to perch. Her lazy eye was the icing upon the cake of a face that only Picasso could love. Her breasts hung like plumb-bobs answering to separate sources of gravity. That they partially obscured her ample muffin-top was of no consequence to Gertrude. Her jutting buttocks swayed to and fro as she walked, eliciting cat-calls and wolf-whistles from construction workers and mild-mannered accountants alike. "Hey, baby! I wish I had that swing on my back porch!" Gertrude smiled inwardly, not outwardly, due in no small part to her lamprey-like teeth and large-mouth-bass jaw. Beauty is only skin deep, she thought, as she rubbed salve onto her psoriasis.

4 comments:

  1. Consider yourself hired. I will send you the $10 (cash) in the mail. If you don't receive it, it's not because I didn't send it--one of those postal employees will be $10 richer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's worth ten dollars. I'm just glad you live ten states away in Backwoods and not next door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you're hilarious. And an extra shout out for showing love to "The Trouble With Angels."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sioux,
    And WE will be all the richer when I publish your private literary caricature.

    ********
    Leenie,
    No need to worry about THIS cow giving away her literary milk for free. I'll gift wrap it and tie it up with a bow and pass it out like Halloween candy to ravenous teenagers. Ten dollars is a small price to pay to KEEP me from caricaturing my next door neighbor.

    ********
    Therese,
    It was all I could do to keep from using Sandy Beach or Fleur de Lis as my anonymous blogger name. And I make sure that my binder is never too tight so I don't faint at inopportune times.

    ReplyDelete