Friday, October 19, 2012

Quick, Toss Me That Antidote

I am not feeling like myself today. Something is percolating. Bubbling to the surface. I can't stop it. It's about to erupt like a grossly-overloaded zit being squeezed and recorded for posterity on YouTube.

I have the urge to commend somebody for a job well done.

Yeah. It feels as foreign for me to type those words as it does for you to read them. Here's the situation. Thursday morning, I called in some prescription refills. It just so happens that my pharmacy is one that has been bought out by a larger chain. Nothing but problems have ensued since the changeover started. People wait in lengthy lines, only to be told that their insurance company is not responding to calls. That the pharmacy is out of stock in that particular medicine. That Express Scripts denies their coverage.

Last month, I was given the runaround on a particular prescription. The reason, it seems, that it cost me thirty-four dollars more than in previous months was that one of my two insurances was not responding. Just bring my receipt next time to get a refund when the insurance responds. You guessed it. I did that. Nope. It was more because the doctor needed to write a letter to the insurance telling them that I can't take the generic. Yep. It was totally an issue between me an my doctor. I turned down their offer of a great deal on swampland in Florida.

Thursday morning, I called in the refills to the automated system. I knew better than to try and pick them up Thursday afternoon. So I waited until Friday afternoon. What do you know! One was not filled. But the counter girl without a name tag looked it up, and said she would have it filled if I wanted to wait. Which kind of defeats the purpose of calling it in the day before so it would be ready. But I waited.

A different girl, more of a gal, really, called me when it was ready. She rang it up. I stopped before scanning my debit card. "Are you sure that's right? Because I paid a lot more last month." Beth, the gal, checked. It was the overcharged prescription, back to its regular price. I explained my previous runaround, in which she had no part. She said she would check on it for me. That it would be worth the wait if she could get me a refund. So I waited.

Finally, a matron called my name. Hers was Donna. She knows me on sight. She rang up my order at the lower price, and shoved thirty-four dollars and seven cents across the counter. "Let's take care of this refund first." No asking for the old receipt, or my ID, or my insurance cards. Just cash on the countertop, baby!

I have a good mind to call the local paper and nominate Unknown, Beth, and Donna for the adult version of Caught Being Good. Or write a letter to their store manager complimenting them on their customer service skills. I'm so giddy, I might just do both.

I think I have a fever.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea for an award: The Caught Being Good Award! I've always maintained that good people are everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! Just when I thought I had you figured out, you go and flip flop :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And we all thought customer service had been resourced out to India! I use the pharmacy at WalMart. They have something called Easy Pay. They keep a credit card # on file and can check you out with one push of a button. I input my own nearly 10 years ago when I was working for WalMart Pharmacy and the new comperter system was installed. I did it as a demonstration to prove that the entire # was not visible to any employee who may open the screen. Never used it. The credit card was from my bank in Minnesota and has long since expired. Every time I pick up RX, they ask if I would like to use my easy pay. Every time I explain that the card has long expired and I want it taken off my profile. And ...... every time they fail to do so. Every time I tell them they promised to take care of it and didn't. I almost want to climb over the counter and do it myself, but it is more fun to hold up the line while I explain the whole story ......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen,
    That was a program in the elementary school. Like if a kid was caught picking up trash without being asked, or sharing with another student, etc. I figure that name is as good as whatever the local paper uses for that column. Lately, there's been a rash of folks paying the tab for a customer in line behind them.

    *************
    Linda,
    I'm an enigma.

    *************
    Kathy,
    Well, if you want something done right...

    Maybe it's the policy of Walmart not to take off the credit card. So they can try to bill it automatically if you stick them with a bad check. Not you, personally, of course. The collective YOU. The roving band of bad-check writers.

    ReplyDelete