Thursday, March 28, 2024

Hopefully, a Case of Unneeded Sympathy

Hick is generally not in need of sympathy. Good thing, because he sure doesn't get it from me! Hick makes his own things happen, racking up good karma and reaping the benefits in freebies and help from his (sometimes newfound) friends. Still, Hick wouldn't be considered to have "good luck." He can't buy a winning scratcher, and can't win at regular bingo. Though he does have success beating the armpit-waist pants off the elderlies.

Anyhoo... as I type this, Hick is at a doctor's appointment. It has been scheduled for at least six months. It's 30-45 minutes away, at 9:45. Normally, it wouldn't be an issue for Hick, other than keeping him from working on the Beauty Shop renovation. Because such appointments usually involve cooling one's heels in the waiting room for a while, and then again in the exam room until the doctor is available, this visit eats up a lot of time. Which prevents Hick from eating at the Senior Center. They close at noon. Heh, heh, I guess it's true about the elderlies always eating early.

Anyhoo... while Hick was pre-cooling his heels on the long couch this morning, I asked what was for lunch. I'd forgotten the time of his appointment.

"I don't know if I'll be able to make it if my appointment takes too long. I'd have to leave there by 11:00 to get back in time. We're having ham. It's Easter dinner."

"Ohh! That's too bad. Can't they save you a plate?"

"She said they would if I call. But I don't know if I can get there in time to get it before they close."

"Surely they could keep it until tomorrow. I know they're not supposed to save food. But it would be just for you. If you had it at home, you'd save it for a day in the refrigerator."

"Yeah. I don't know."

Poor Hick. He doesn't ask for much. Well. Except an extra tractor, and five lawnmowers, and a freight container garage with a car lift that has never been used, and some cast-off shipping pallets. But he loves his senior lunches. Seems like he missed another holiday dinner due to a different appointment with a different doctor last year. 

I really hope Hick gets his ham.
______________________________________________________________

UPDATE!

Hick was able to get to the Senior Center by 11:15, to enjoy his ham dinner. He didn't take a picture! 

"It was a slice of ham, pretty thick. And green beans that was more than just green beans, like there was something in them."

"Like green bean casserole? Maybe with mushroom soup? What about fried onions on top?"

"Yeah. That might be it. But no onions. And we had potatoes. Some kind of stringy potatoes, and they was about like the green beans, with something in them."

"Stringy? Like shredded hash browns?"

"Uh huh. And cake."

"Wait. You still have a compartment on your tray with nothing in it. Did you have a roll?"

"Oh, yeah. A roll."

"What kind of cake."

"I don't know. Just cake. It had white icing."

"No flavor? Did it have any color?"

"It was kind of pink."

"So maybe strawberry something mixed in."

"Maybe."

I don't know about you, but Hick's Easter dinner doesn't sound all that great!

12 comments:

  1. Ha! Ha! Well, as long as Hick was happy with his Easter lunch at the Senior Center, it's a win for him. Now, your Easter dinner will be a super win for him:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even bought our ingredients yet, but yes, Hick will enjoy our Easter feast. At least he didn't miss out on the Senior Center dinner, so he won't feel like he missed something great.

      Delete
  2. That is amazing he made it back in time. Did he really go to the appointment? I love the way he described lunch.
    Practical Parsimony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! Come to think of it, Hick didn't mention any details of his appointment. Then again, it was a busy TV night with Survivor and Amazing Race. And events the next day took precedence over such a mundane outing.

      Hick isn't much of a describer, that's for sure!

      Delete
  3. Learning about Hicks lunch was almost painful - waiting for the next bit of information, you know, with something in it. Too funny. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually made me sorry that I was almost sorry for Hick to miss it. I guess everything had something in it except for the cake, which was only describable as having icing.

      Delete
  4. The slice of ham sounds okay at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they couldn't put something in it!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like the comments I get on those rare occasions when I volunteer to cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as long as you ADD SOMETHING! Even though its exact nature may not be discernable.

      Delete
  6. Like pulling teeth to get a description of his meal! No adjectives, just the name of the food. I know someone like that!

    ReplyDelete