Sunday, March 17, 2024

Convenience Store Capers: A Heartbreaking Find of Staggering Regret

As you know, I have ceased my quest to become a Future Pennyillionaire. I no long pick up coins I find on parking lots or store floors. The pickin's have been slim, anyway. Only a couple sighted in the first two months of 2024. However...

On Saturday, as I walked up the slope to the door of the Liquor Store, I saw a penny. I resisted the urge to scoop it up. That's no longer my journey. I went past, noting several foil discs that must have held in the contents of small energy drink bottles. They often look like coins, and Val has been fooled more that once. 

When I came out, I saw another penny. And another! In fact, there was a small grouping, then a trail of pennies! It was the most fantastic thing ever! Like when I found a gaggle of pennies on the blacktop road down by Mailbox Row, figuring that a kid threw them out the bus window. I picked up those pennies, but not the ones at the Liquor Store. Such a shame. 

There were 15 PENNIES on that lot!

Yes. The lighting on the way back to T-Hoe revealed many more pennies. As if a numismatic Johnny Appleseed had scattered them there for me to find. I did NOT stoop to pick them up. I was on a downhill slope. Such an effort might have given me a stroke from the sustained pressure in my noggin while bent to collect them at a level lower than my feet. If I had turned to face uphill, I might not have seen them all, since I'd missed them on the way in.

The end of an era. This might have been my year to achieve Pennyillionaire status. Then again, as Hick says, a monkey might have jumped out of my rumpus.

10 comments:

  1. I bet it was hard to pass by so many pennies and not pick them up. Ha! It makes me wonder, where they all came from or whether someone purposely dropped them like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine somebody carrying that many pennies in his pocket. Or springing a leak in his pocket all at once. Nobody would have that many pennies given back in change, to be dropped on the way out.

      They were at the bottom of the no-parking area in front of the door. So not dropped from a hand reached out a parked window. If somebody drove by and threw out a handful, there wouldn't have been a trail from the group of them out toward the driving area and other parking spaces down front. Such a mystery.

      Delete
  2. You are being tempted! I might have slipped a bit and picked up so many. Maybe the monkey will get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the greatest temptation I have had since stopping my quest. I didn't want to start an incomplete 2024 collection. I saw a SINGLE penny the day before at the Gas Station Chicken Store, and a man walking ahead of me picked it up as I returned to T-Hoe. Good for him! Somebody else pursuing my dream! And not a rumpus-monkey.

      Delete
  3. If you HAD or DO become a Pennyillionaire you could have or could change your name to . . . Penny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might have turned to see if anyone was nearby then asked them to please help and pick up my pennies. 15 is too many to pass up. You'll probably dream about them out there on the ground waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the people in the Liquor Store, who are largely a younger demographic buying vapes. No dreams yet, but I saw a DIME on the Sis-Town Casey's floor last week that has been haunting me.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Gotta nip it in the bud! Cold turkey! Or else I might relapse.

      Delete