Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Hick Would Be Having Flashbacks Of Linguine With Clam Sauce

Many years ago, when we were first married, and living in my $17,000 house in town... Hick volunteered to go to the store for me. It was the days before cell phones. I gave him a list. Yet he returned home with not one item on that list, having spent $35 in 1990 money. Most of his haul was cookies and snacks. Yet he had also bought himself a TV dinner that was Linguine With Clam Sauce. 

I have no idea why Hick wanted that TV dinner. He's not a seafood aficionado, and the young HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) and The (little future) Veteran seemed to like my cooking just fine when they stayed with us on weekends and for the summer. Anyhoo... Hick ate his TV dinner, and was sick for days! He turned a shade of green that I didn't know existed in humans. I told him that's what he got, for eating something with clam sauce in a landlocked location. Even though the "freezing" part should have provided safety.

Now comes The Pony, apparently grown out of his days when he only ate chicken nuggets and hot dogs and bread with butter and jelly. He told me to guess what he had for supper a couple days ago. I could not. So he sent me a picture:


NOOOO! Glowing in the light of The Pony's computer is SUSHI! My stomach did a routine that would be the envy of an Olympic gymnast! Looks like The Pony had the California Roll. Where, you might ask, would The Pony get such an item in the midwest?


At the grocery store, of course. And it's MARKED DOWN! At the store known for selling expired items if you're dumb enough not to check the dates!

I don't know if The Pony turned green. I do know that he was having a bit of an intestinal issue with gasses, not solids.

At least he didn't buy it at a gas station.

10 comments:

  1. lol!!!!! I am in Toronto / the Greater Toronto Area, and I will buy sushi from a grocery too. It has never done me wrong - I also buy it from the place at the mall, sometimes the end of day rolls - a dicey but tasty game. I would not get a clam sauce anything frozen though :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I am skeptical because I would never eat sushi at all. Not even if the fish were caught in front of me, and I saw every step of the preparation!

      Hick's frozen dinner was not even a fancy brand. Just the regular cheap TV dinner. Sadly, I would be more likely to eat that than sushi. Just not something with clam sauce, like you say.

      Delete
  2. Taking my mom back in the 90's from where we lived to VA with my small children. Stopped at a gas station with a convenience store for gas and mom decided not wisely to buy a sub sandwich there to eat. She was sick for days. Never buy ready to eat food at a gas station become my motto.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer kept eating the sub sandwich for days.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myS1eF3sWGk
      YouTube, 1:34

      Delete
  3. Hahaha! Very funny! You can get anything anywhere nowadays. Or as long as those container ships don't knock down any more bridges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe The Pony might want that fish Hick's buddy keeps bringing him! It might cross a few bridges, but it doesn't travel in a shipping container.

      Delete
  4. "..he returned home with not one item on that list.." and you didn't make him go back for the things you obviously wanted? Right there is where you set yourself up for his future nonchalance in obeying your orders. ah well, too late now.
    I hope the California Rolls aren't the problem with The Pony's digestion. I haven't had any type of sushi rolls for a long while, even with a store selling fresh made items right there next to my supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too tired from driving an hour each morning and evening, then doing my teacher homework. That's why Hick was sent to the store. The Pony recovered in a day. Not sure if it was the sushi...

      Delete
  5. I am known to buy marked down items in the grocery, but never seafood and definitely not sushi! What a brave boy you raised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how The Pony used to only eat chicken nuggets and hot dogs! I bought two squeeze bottles of Kraft Mayo, expired for a month, at half price. Used one already, and no issues!

      Delete