Tuesday, March 12, 2024

A Pony Knee Update

The Pony sent a new picture of his recent injury. I didn't like the looks of it, but The Pony is taking precautions. He also said he sent me the BEST original picture of his skinned knee, and that the ones he sent to Hick showed the blood trail between the times he wiped it off.

According to The Pony, he was walking along a sidewalk as usual, but the residents had parked their car on the side he usually walks on. When walking on the other side, he tripped, because tree roots had pushed up the slab of sidewalk. The Pony said it's the old style of sidewalk, kind of a yellowish color, where you can see the little rocks in it, and not the smooth gray kind of sidewalk.

Anyhoo... here's what Saturday's skinned knee looked like on Sunday morning:


I can kind of see how the individual rocks in that sidewalk made their own gouge. The knee had undergone a shower and a bath by this time. The Pony said it was painful in the shower, and he'd tried to keep it mostly out of the bath water. Also, he was out of bandaids, having only an empty box in his cabinet, and headed for the store to buy some.

I said he should draw around the outline of the red area, to see if it expands. In which case he should go to the doctor for the infection. The Pony said he was planning to do that. His cousin had to do it with a spider bite one time. The Pony reminded me that at this point, it hadn't even been 24 hours since the injury.

Monday morning, The Pony reported that he had gotten large square bandaids, and that his knee had been oozing some stuff. That's to be expected. We'll see how a day of walking on it affects the wound. Which is on the part that must bend with every step.

I asked if The Pony was taking his bandaids and ointment to apply midway through the day. He was noncommittal! But surely that would be common sense. Not only in case the knee leaks, but simply in case of sweat loosening the bandaid.

Anyhoo... we'll see how it goes. It's not like a dog bite, which I made the mistake of mentioning. And instantly regretted putting that out into The Universe.

12 comments:

  1. That does look a bit too red! Maybe that is just from the impact of rock, skin, bone. Tomorrow, it should not be that red. But, you know that. Mothers would suggest he take the bandaids, gauze, ointment with him to work. The doctor gave me the mupirocin for a serious infection. We just use the neosporin for the little things, though. So, not criticizing the use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That scraped knee is the least of my worries right now! More tomorrow on the reason.

      Delete
  2. By the way, now I remember reading instructions on the med. It said not to use too long because a person could use so much it would no longer be effective as antibiotic. Of course, I used it exclusively for about 6 or 7 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But probably not continuously for 6 or 7 years! So must have been okay.

      Delete
  3. Sweat shouldn't loosen a bandaid and I think if The Pony treats it morning and night that should be enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you "glow" instead of sweat. Putting a bandaid on skin does not magically keep the pores from excreting sweat. I've had many of them come loose, from exercising, or being outside in the heat, minding my students during physical education classes.

      Right now The Pony's knee has taken a back seat to his most recent injury...

      Delete
    2. I do actually sweat, the stuff runs like a river, but I don't often have bandaids on places where I sweat. So here's my apology :)

      Delete
    3. No apology needed. I wasn't trying to be a smart-rumpus! Just pointing out that I do, indeed, sweat, and have lost bandaids before. You might have stronger adhesive on your bandaids.

      Delete
  4. My Mom used to slather such scrapes with Mercurochrome from a bottle that was at least 23 years old. They don't make the stuff now, I think it was radioactive or something.

    They need to add "Nor root of tree" to that post office thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some of that stuff when I was a kid. I'm guessing it contained mercury! Just from the name. Heh, heh. At least the dog bite took The Pony's mind off that knee.

      Delete
  5. Well, the antibiotic for the dog bite shuld cure the knee as well! As usual I am going backwards with my reading of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the knee is now on the back burner. Oops! Sorry for that stove reference!

      Delete