Monday, March 25, 2024

Not-Heaven Hath No Fury Like a Hick Un-Affirmed

Hick was almost apoplectic last week, having a hissy-fit over that business behind the Gas Station Chicken Store that distributes the Amazon packages to re-sellers.

"Have you looked at it? They have tons of pallets stacked on the side and behind the building! I don't know what they plan to do with them. It looks like they're just going to keep putting them there. That's a fire hazard! I called the city and told them about the pallets. They didn't seem very concerned. Alls they said was that 'they'll look into it.' I'd love to have the wood from them pallets. They shouldn't be able to pile them there."

"I haven't noticed it. I'm more concerned with not being able to see when I try to pull out of that road. AND all the vehicles that park along the alley, making it hard for traffic to get through."

So... the next time I was at the Gas Station Chicken Store, I DID notice all those pallets. Here's a view from the FREE AIR parking space in front of my rightful handicap parking space:


This was during a lull. When the pallets full of stuff were gone from the back field, and from in front of the business where they block the view of traffic. Lots of pallets there.


A LOT OF PALLETS! I don't know if the city has any ordinances about storing pallets. 

I do know that when Hick talks about them, his eyes might as well reflect several themed sheds constructed with that wood. Hick used to bid on the discarded pallets at his workplace, to keep them from being hauled off to the landfill. Well. It's not like Hick was concerned with the environment and recycling. He just wanted construction materials for his themed sheds.

10 comments:

  1. I wonder what the store plans to do with those pallets. Maybe they'd let Hick have them if he asked. It does seem strange to let them pile up like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they have a deal for somebody to take them when they reach a certain amount? Or maybe they just don't want to pay to have them hauled off. Or might not know some people would pay to buy them. I guess maybe pallets are considered trash, unless a handyman like Hick doesn't mind to pull the nails out and use the wood.

      Delete
  2. I've seen places put out signs for free pallets so I wonder if it would be more cost effective for Hick to see if he can claim some than for them to pay to have them hauled away. One mans trash is another mans treasure. It seems that they would be happy to have someone take some as there are so many but like you said, maybe they reach a certain qty and then get picked up. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they might have a deal with somebody who has a buyer for those pallets, or at least a large truck to haul them away. A local office supply store near the main post office used to set their pallets out back, for anybody who wanted them. If I spied some while using the drive-thru mailbox, I would tell Hick, and he'd go pick them up.

      Delete
  3. If Hick got all of those he could build another house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or five themed sheds on Shackytown Boulevard! I'd rather he build a house. We have a lot in Backroads that is sitting vacant. Might as well construct a moneymaker.

      Delete
  4. I think Hick should ask about them, just in case they might say go ahead and help yourself. It seems an awful waste to just leave them there. If they have come from Amazon, shouldn't Amazon be arranging the pick up of them to use again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Hick knows who runs this "business," and doesn't want any contact with them. It's not like they're his buddies. He casually said their name one day, and it was not with a favorable slant. It's a rare occasion when Hick shuns somebody. He's hired drunks and druggies and hot-heads and jailbirds for various projects, so something must not be right with this pallet-hoarding enterprise.

      I'm still not sure exactly how this business operates. I've seen a semi truck unloading pallets of boxes. I think maybe they buy Amazon returns and re-sell them. So they're probably a couple of steps removed from Amazon, coming through another contractor that delivers the merchandise.

      Delete
  5. I have seen those pallets of stuff from Amazon and such on Marketplace, mostly near the Atlanta area. I am like Hick, though. I want the pallets! Talking HeWho into going very far to just get free pallets has him just staring at me and asking what I want them for. He is so dense at times! He could send one of his buddies to ask, maybe they are free and you just can't beat free! I used some pallet boards on a wall in the house at the RV park. Turned out good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were even more pallets today! Hick has used them for making an outhouse down at his creekside cabin, and a mini-barn there as well. Not to mention all his themed sheds, and an accent wall in the $5000 house. I will suggest that Hick find a way to ask about the pallets.

      Delete