Thursday, March 14, 2024

Travels With My Placard: An Inconvenient Two-th

Tuesday was not a good day for traveling with my handicap placard. I stopped by the Gas Station Chicken Store for scratchers, and came out to find myself blocked in! Yes, I could have backed up a full car length, into the area where cars drove out from the gas pumps under the roof in front of the building. But T-Hoe's backup beeper doesn't work, and people these days keep driving behind you, even if they can see that you are actively backing. So I settled down to wait until I was unblocked.


There was a middle-aged man airing up his trailer tires. I waited until he walked around to get back in the truck before taking the picture. I wasn't on a shaming mission, just wanting to show how inconsiderate people are. This guy could have easily parked along the side of the road up there by the dumpster. That FREE AIR hose is plenty long. People do that all the time if both of these spaces are taken. 


They were really close, and that angle was irritating me, complicating my escape. The middle-aged man's ample middle-aged wife was sitting in the truck with her window down. Even though T-Hoe's windows were up, I could hear her when M-A Man got in the truck.

"She took a picture!"

"Why would she do that?"

"I don't know. But she got out her phone and took a picture! That's just stupid."

Heh, heh. If you don't want your picture taken, don't park like a rumpushole!

From there, I headed over to the Sis-Town Country Mart to get some soda for Hick, and some fried chicken which they did not have. Anyhoo... when I got there, ALL FIVE of the handicap spaces were taken. TAKEN! Like the seats Elaine was trying to save for Jerry and George and Kramer. Except instead of being empty, these spaces were full.

I drove down into the lot to sit for a minute. One car started backing out, so I pulled up, ready to cross over the drive that is actually a street with a stop sign. But the minute that car got out of the way, another car that had been waiting at the stop sign whipped into it! That was annoying. I was pretty sure I had more insurance, but I couldn't guarantee that I was older. So I refrained from giving it a Kathy-Bates-Fried-Green-Tomatoes ramming.

Had to park way down in the lot, to be near the cart return. No way was I going to park closer, then have to take a cart to the return and walk back to T-Hoe. You can't just leave a cart on that sloping lot.


Of course when I got back and unloaded my groceries into T-Hoe's rear, there were two handicap spaces open, and another car backing out. Too late for me! Who knew that 2:30 on a Tuesday was prime time for the elderlies to be out and about with their placards? Not this old Val. It wasn't even the beginning of the weekly sales, which is on Wednesdays.

10 comments:

  1. You sound like HeWho, he bemoans other handicappers the right to park when he needs a space and don't get me started on the cars without placards or any other indication! Sometimes he saya he doesn't feel like going into a store and will stay in the truck and wait for me. I know he is secretly monitoring the comings and goings of those who are parked without be handicapped. Who am I to suck such pleasures from him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I relish the view from atop my high horse, now that I have a placard! How dare other handicappers be out and about when I want a parking space!!! HeWho could ride shotgun with me, and we could heckle the not-handicapped for using our rightful spaces. I'm not brave enough by myself.

      Delete
  2. I have learned through bitter experience never to go to the grocery store on the first Wednesday of the month. Otherwise known as Old Farts Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first weekend of the month is just as bad, because it's not only the elderlies! It's an Equal-Fart Opportunity Day(s).

      Delete
  3. I can see how that crooked parked trailer would be a huge inconvenience and then to find a lack of spaces at the next store just complicates your day further. At least you got your groceries and soda for Hick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't help that I was stressing about The Pony's dog bite, waiting to hear about the doctor assessment.

      Delete
  4. I would have very obviously snapped a picture of her complaining. That guy with the crooked parked truck would really annoy me.
    For some reason I could not post a comment on your blog for a few days. That dog has bitten before! Also, It seemed the bite was up high on his arm. Maybe the dog was going for the neck or head. I am terrified on any dog, especially a large one or heavy jawed dog.
    Might it help a bit for him to wear long pants to protect his legs from falls. Chain mail might keep dog teeth out of him. Those were really deep dog bite wounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know what's going on with Blogger. A couple days ago, it wouldn't give me the option to log in. I had to try several different tactics.

      I think she must have felt guilty if she was worried about me taking a picture! They were moving by the time I heard her complaining. I'm not fast with my phone.

      I also think that dog is a repeat offender. The Pony could probably get an insurance settlement if he got a dog bite lawyer. It's a Level 4 Dog Bite, I think, where there is a puncture, or more than one bite.

      It's a lose/lose/lose situation. The homeowner wasn't even there, not their dog. So why punish them? The elderly people were negligent, but don't need the stress of a lawsuit, and if they don't have insurance that would cover it, I doubt any awarded money could be collected. The Pony would have to take the time (and resulting stress) to pursue it. So that's not going to happen.

      The Pony would die of heat stroke in long pants! Once the temp hits 50 or higher, he's wearing shorts. Heh, heh! I'm sure The Pony would enjoy chain mail! He once wore a metal Roman helmet to school for hat day. The other kids were knocking on it. I'm surprised The Pony's scrawny 10-year-old neck could support it all day.

      Delete
  5. I'm having a little giggle at The Pony wearing shorts at 50F. For us that's 10C and we are all rugged up against the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all relative, I guess. We are used to snow in the winter, but one of our bus drivers wore shorts to the Christmas program at school! When I went to Alaska, guys were jogging shirtless at 50 degrees. I need a jacket if the temp is under 60.

      Delete