Friday, October 6, 2023

Hick Doesn't Know His Angle From His Elbow

When dealing with Hick, you have to let logic pack its bags, book a transatlantic flight, call an Uber, and fly out the window. Logic is Hick's kryptonite. It cannot be allowed to cohabit with the man who knows everything.

Blog Buddy Practical Parsimony raised a question about the efficiency of Hick's plumbing plan for his buddy's sewer pipes. The logic here being that a 45-degree angle would be more difficult for sewage to navigate than a 90-degree angle would. So by Hick's statements, it appears that he is making the problem worse.

For clarification, I went straight to the horse's mouth. That being Hick's none-too-shy, overly-confident, spoiled-cheesecake-eating orifice. The response could have replaced the Who's On First routine in the annals of comedy history, if only I had recorded it word-for-word. And the fact that I didn't find it at all funny at the time. I will try my best to recollect our exchange from 5:20 a.m. on Thursday, facing off from short couch to long couch, before Hick left for his clandestine Casey's donut(s).

"Hey, you said your buddy had 90-degree angles in his sewer plumbing? And you were going to replace them with 45-degree angles?"

"Yeah."

"Wouldn't that make them sharper angles?"

"No. It makes the flow easier."

"But a 45-degree angle is half a 90-degree angle. So you're making it worse."

"No. That makes it better. So stuff can get around the bend easier."

"But it can't. It's like it has to flow partway backwards at 45 degrees."

"Noooo. Look. Here's a 90-degree angle." Hick made the shape with his hands and arms.

"Yes. And 45 is half of that. Like coming out from the middle of the corner, splitting it in half."

"No. You go past the corner, and then it comes out at 45 degrees."

"That would be a 135-degree angle. The 90 PLUS 45."

"No. You don't know what you're talking about. 45 is half of 90."

"I know geometry. I know angles. What you are describing is 135 degrees."

"Hahaha! You don't know nothin'! Give me my glasses. Here. I'll draw it out for you!"

"I know what you're saying, but that's not a 45-degree angle, is my point."

Hick proceeded to draw a picture of lines representing plumbing pipes, on the back of a manila envelope that had held his paperwork for his cataract surgery.

"SEE? It's like I'm driving along. Instead of making a right turn here at the corner, I go on and make a less-sharp turn past it."

"I know what you're telling me. My point is just that it's not a 45-degree angle. That's the part that confuses people. It's greater than 90 degrees. It's 90 PLUS 45. A 135-degree angle."

"How can you not understand! It's NOT! It's a 45-degree angle! You don't know anything about plumbing!"

"That's right. But I know angles. Google it! You'll see that I'm right."

"I have never, EVER, heard anyone ask for a 135!"

"So what do you do, walk into the store and say, 'I need a 45?'"

"Yeah."

Hick dug out his phone, fiddled, then handed it to me. "SEE? There's a picture! It's smoother than a 90. That's a 45-degree elbow!"

"Wait! WAIT! You mean all this time, you were talking about an ELBOW??? And not the angle? Because that's all you had to do! Say that ONE WORD! Then the whole thing would have made sense."

"It's the same thing. Here--"

"No. You don't have to draw anything again! You have been talking about a 135-degree ANGLE, which you get by using a 45-degree ELBOW!"

"It's still a 45-degree angle!"

"Whatever you say! But the 45 you're talking about is that part called an elbow. Not the actual angle."

Hick threw up his hands, declaring that EVERYBODY knows that a 45-degree angle is easier for water (and other stuff) to flow through a pipe. Then left for town on schedule. The Casey's girl probably had his donut(s) laid out for him. He's convinced that I am unable to understand the basics of pipes and angles.

I am convinced that Hick doesn't know his angle from his elbow.

12 comments:

  1. Seems I have that said differently ..... either way might apply! What he finds upsetting is that you are smarter than him. I know this from experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am smarter in general knowledge, but know nothing about plumbing or Hick's mechanical exploits. Together we could conquer the world! He revels in telling me I DON'T KNOW NOTHIN', but I never say that to him. We have a different kind of smarts.

      Delete
  2. I knew exactly what he meant. It took me several minutes to understand what you are saying about the actual angle being 135...no one talks like that though. You use a 45 degree fitting instead of a 90 degree fitting. I'm calling that argument a tie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for confessing that you don't know your angle from your elbow! Had Hick only used the word FITTING instead of ANGLE, I would have figured out it was a special kind of gadget, not aligned with Euclidian geometry. Words matter. Imagine if I went to the doctor and told him I had a pain in my fitting...

      Delete
    2. I'm pretty sure all plumbing fittings are just called by their angle. KInda like ordering beer at a pub, "I'll have a pint" is sufficient...someone has to stand up for Hick!

      Delete
    3. You can stand until the cows come home. You can have a pint of whatever beer they serve you, and drink a toast to Hick. He will bend his elbow to join you.

      My only issue is that Hick didn't use, or explain, the plumbing lingo adequately. He's the one who said ANGLE. I am sure he would never have a buddy's sewer make a sharper turn to solve a clogging problem. Hick knows his crap!

      I wasn't the one to originally question Hick's plan. When the question of the angles came up, I investigated. Using the word ANGLE is where Hick caused confusion. Had he only said ELBOW, or FITTING, or simply "a 45," then the plumbing lingo would have been in effect, so his expertise would have been unquestionworthy.

      Delete
  3. A 135 degree angle I can understand. I understand that water flows more easily than through 90 degrees. I think he is confused. However, he knows how to make it work, just not how to explain it. Then, again, maybe I have no idea what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Hick's mind, he is not confused. He is right. Always right. His weakness lies in explaining. His tactic has always been to say the exact same thing, with increases in volume. Like that will make it clear. I am used to resorting to a variety of tactics when explaining, from my teaching years, since students have different methods of learning.

      Delete
  4. Doesn't a 45 degree elbow still result in a sharper turn? It's a good thing I'm not a plumber. My dad was and a gas fitter too and very popular with ladies who needed repairs in their homes since he always did good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't make me have Hick give you a call to explain!!!

      The 45 ELBOW is a section of pipe shaped like a 135 degree angle, that will change the direction of the water flow 45 degrees OFF THE STRAIGHT LINE it was flowing, although the water is turning 135 degrees.

      It's like they're considering the 45 degree angle that the back of the elbow makes with where the pipe would have continued straight. Clear as mud, right! Or the stuff that's in the sewer pipe!

      I would have put a picture, but they're all advertisements for plumbing supplies. A quick Google would bring up more than you ever want to see.

      Delete
    2. That's a relief! I was feeling a little like Hick with my explanation. Although I did try a different version, and didn't HOLLER!

      Delete