Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Hick Is Safe Nowhere... There's Always a Bargain Waiting to Pounce

Monday, Hick went to Lowe's to get flooring for the Double Hovel flip house kitchen. While he was there, he saw a stack of treated lumber that was marked down. You may recall that Hick is in need of such lumber to rebuild the deck off the kitchen.

"It was about $500 worth of lumber. Marked on sale at $320. I asked the girl if I could pay for it, then come back and get it later, since I didn't have my trailer. She said NO! That I had to take it right then! That's the stupidest thing I ever heard of. I was kind of mad."

"What difference does it make? They would have the money for it. If you never came back to get it, they could sell it again!"

"I know! So me and Old Buddy came out and got my trailer, and went back. They hadn't sold it yet, so I bought it. Cost me about $344 with the tax. Still, it's cheaper than paying full price."

I don't know how he does it. Hick might as well meander across the county, just browsing at various lumber yards and hardware stores. He might find enough stuff to build an entire house at a bargain price.

4 comments:

  1. Hick did get a good deal on that lumber but it's ridiculous that he was told that he couldn't come back for it later. It would have been written up as sold so I don't see the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's not like Hick wanted to leave it for a month. He was coming back within 90 minutes. They could have stuck a SOLD sign on it, with Hick's name.

      Delete
  2. I agree, Hick would have the receipt too, so he should have been able to pay and pick up later. Makes sense. Maybe the girl had gotten into trouble for doing that once before? But I don't see why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She probably would have needed extra effort, like calling back to that department to say that it was sold, or getting a manager to approve the transaction.

      Delete