Monday, October 16, 2023

Another Day, Another Bargain for Hick

Hick got home around 5:00 on Sunday from his SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2).

"Well. I've been to the home of a convicted felon."

"Huh. I see you survived."

"He was a really nice guy. Him and his wife came to my store, with some knives and stuff to sell. I said I'd go see what they had. He said he'd been sentenced to 28 years, and he was done with all that. Had turned his life around. He has a young son now. He inherited his grandpa's 400 acre farm. They had a yard sale, but since they live so far out, not many people showed up. I got a bunch of knives, Case knives and Buck knives. About $500-$600 worth, for $200."

"I hope you didn't take advantage of them."

"Nope. When they were in the shop, the wife was showing me some pictures of the knives. I looked them up. I showed her what they were worth, and told her that I still had to make a profit. That she could sell them herself for more. And she said they didn't want to deal with that. Anyway, I also bought three gun cabinets from them for more than I should have. I can get my money back for them if I sell all three." 

"He can't have guns, or buy or sell them, as a convicted felon."

"I know that. He didn't have any guns. Just those three cabinets. He seems to be a really nice guy. He didn't have to tell me any of that."

Hick has a way with people. And bargains.

12 comments:

  1. What an interesting connection, Hick has a way of chatting with people doesn't he? It sounds like the seller has truly reformed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick is everyman. He will give anyone a chance, until they show him not to. He likes helping people who help themselves. This guy has too much to lose now, if he messes up again.

      Delete
  2. There must be something about Hick that attracts people to him. Just having someone like this fella, feel comfortable enough to approach Hick and ask if he would be interested in the knives and then sharing his past. I don't know anyone that would volunteer that kind of information to anyone unless it was absolutely necessary. Hick just got another Kudos today. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Hick has that effect on people. He's not a judger. Though he does still hold a grudge on a doctor who told him that Hick and his brothers would never amount to anything, being brought up in a house without indoor plumbing by a blind dad, and a mom in and out of the mental hospital. I guess Hick showed HIM!

      Delete
  3. I am glad for the felon, it is hard to earn trust after a stay in prison. I have a grandson in prison. He has been in and out since he was 14. So many kind people helped him, but he is caught up in the "unfairness" of the system. He has to serve 10 years for failing to report his address to the court. The gramma in me wants to rail against the system, but, he knew the rules and continued to push against them and this was just the last straw for his probation officer. He has not taken advantage of any of the programs offered for him to make a better life, choosing to carry on with his pity party non-stop. I love the child and it hurts to see him waste his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have someone in the family that has issues. It's hard to help somebody who doesn't want to be helped...

      Delete
    2. My brother was in and out a few times in his youth, but turned himself around and my older son did the same.

      Delete
    3. Yes, it has to be their own decision. No amount of support or advice can make it happen, until they make the choice.

      Delete
  4. Hick falls right into a pile of good stuff all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He'll make a profit on those cabinets and the knives. It's good that man has turned his life around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Hick bought the cabinets mainly as a favor to the guy, because he knew he could make good money off the knives. That guy is probably the exception, not the rule. But it helps that he has his inherited land, and his child now as an incentive to stay out.

      Delete