Monday, October 2, 2023

Parking Spaces, Like Center Lines on the Roadway, Are Merely Suggestions

What in the NOT-HEAVEN is wrong with people? I've gotten used to the people at the Liquor Store who pull up on my right side, and park where there is not parking space. They are entitled, you know! The spaces in front of the store are not good enough for them. And the remaining 4 of the 6 spaces where I park are not to their liking. So they park in the driving area of the parking lot.

Now the Gas Station Chicken Store has inherited these parkers. On Saturday, T-Hoe was safely ensconced in the handicap space. I was gathering my winners to take inside, when a pickup truck loaded with long boards pulled up beside me. I thought he was going to fit into the air hose space in front of me. But no. He got out of his truck, and proceeded to talk on his cell phone. Even as I disembarked and went inside. The driver eventually meandered into the store itself. To buy a fountain soda.

When I came out, I snapped some evidence.


He was too close. Not in a space. Parked in the driving area next to the diesel pumps, where dump trucks and fire engines regularly refuel. There's no reason for this. There are parking spaces along the moat for vehicles with trailers, or loaded with long boards like this guy.


There was also plenty of room for him to park in front of me, up past the air hose, leaving room for his long boards. IF a car had parked there while I was inside, I would have been trapped. He didn't know one wouldn't. He didn't have a crystal ball in his hand when he stepped out on his cell phone.


My only alternative would have been to back across the three pump lanes, so I could clear his long boards, and exit on the other side of the diesel pumps. No reason at all for him to park like this. He was perhaps mid-30s, with no discernable handicap.

When I came out, there was no car ahead of me. I took time to write on the back of my scratchers, as usual. And the Close-Parker walked out with his fountain soda and got in. Waited a few minutes. Then left by the back alley. As did I. 

Lucky for me, nobody had parked by the air hose anyway. It's just the principle of the matter.

What in the NOT-HEAVEN is wrong with people???

12 comments:

  1. had surgery on hand 4 wks ago. yours is the first blog site I had commented on! Cannot do any more than that. Thanks for the giggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honored! Take care of that hand! You can read for free while you heal.

      Delete
  2. I took my driving test when I was 16 and none since, so I am not sure if they include parking now, or if it is like new math and makes no sense. I had to parallel park in order to get my license! Do they still make you do that? Maybe this guy was just that special that he can park whereever he chooses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they still have the parallel parking. The Pony had to do it in 2016. I used to see the set-up area where the test-takers were required to park between the cones, but I don't drive by that street much any more.

      This guy probably parked on top of the cones! Maybe he doesn't even have a license. No orange/red flag hanging off his extra-long boards, either.

      Delete
  3. I don't drive, so I don't know how close is too close, by with the long boards I can see why he pulled further forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! YES, to BLOCK ME IN! Since he's not in a parking space, but in the driving area, who can tell if he is pulled further forward? There's nothing to judge his position when he's in the middle of the driving area. He could be termed further backward, or further sideways!

      Delete
  4. There are people who think lines are just suggestions. They don't care who they block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when they use the striped lines of the handicap walkway for their parking area, blocking the sidewalk ramp.

      Delete
  5. You can not legislate stupid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least he didn't park in the air hose space, and back into me, decapitating me with his boards. Good thing that highway-sleeping lady who DID back into me there didn't have a load of boards.

      Delete