Saturday, August 5, 2023

The Gas Station PENNY Store

Gazing away again in FuturePennyillionaireville. Val's attentiveness was rewarded this week, perhaps to counter the two days she went electricity-less during thunderstorms.

MONDAY, July 31, I spied a penny while cooling my heels in line at the Gas Station Chicken Store. I was waiting with anticipation longer than a 1970s Heinz Ketchup commercial.


That sandalfoot lady was buying scratchers. I was not privy (heh, heh, I said PRIVY) to the whole transaction. Maybe she cashed in a winning scratcher. I DO know that she asked for 15 scratchers that cost $20 each! It's an older ticket, which still has a big winner. You can't hardly find this ticket anywhere these days. 

Anyhoo... after the cashier rung them up, she said, "That's ONE FIFTY." I know those tickets didn't cost that little. They would have been $300. AND THEN, Sandalfoot asked for 8 more! So from what I saw, Sandalfoot got a total of 23 tickets that cost $20 each! That's a total of $460! Not that I'm the Scratcher Police. I was just shocked. She finished off her transaction with her debit card.


Anyhoo, that was a heads-up 1996 penny. Perhaps blurry from my cantankerous cell phone camera, or perhaps clouded by a miasma of FOOT ODOR!
_______________________________________________________________

THURSDAY, August 3, I was back at the Gas Station Chicken Store. So many people were inside, waiting in three different lines, that I had to step out. I can't be in such tight quarters with so many people. I was planning to get in T-Hoe and wait until the customers cleared out, but on my way back, I discovered a PENNY!


As I was getting out my phone for a picture, that car drove away from the gas pumps. Right over my penny! It would have run over my toes if my feet were bigger!


It was a heads-up 2015 penny, posed all pretty on the pavement. Kudos to the Gas Station Chicken Store, which has provided my last five pennies!
________________________________________________________________

That's 2 COINS this week, for 2 CENTS towards Val's Future Pennyillionaire Fortune!
______________________________________________________

2023 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny           # 67, 68.
Dime             still at 13
Nickel           still at 1
Quarter        still at 3

2022 FINAL TOTALS

Penny           124
Dime              21
Nickel              7
Quarter             9

2021 FINAL TOTALS

Penny        124
Dime           14
Nickel           7
Quarter         6
_______________________________________________________  

6 comments:

  1. Maybe people with that much money to blow don't worry about a penny here and there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen people buying a whole bunch of consecutive tickets at the Gas Station Chicken Store. More than at other stores I frequent. Maybe that's where the high rollers are hanging out. Thus my recent spate of found pennies there. Maybe they toss some out, and make bets on what time I will arrive to pick them up!

      Delete
  2. 23 scratchers all at once? Guess she has nothing else to do all day. I can scratch two and then my thumb and finger hurt from gripping the coin I'm scratching with. I'm not a fan of crowded stores either but I'd stay in there unless I had another store I could go to instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing my scratching hand is in prime physical condition from daily workouts! The crossword tickets are the hardest, because their surface is gummy. They're more like scrapers than scratchers. On the bigger tickets, anything above the $5 size, I use my whole shoulder and arm. They'd tire after a couple of those $20 tickets she bought.

      Sometimes I leave and drive back by to see how crowded, and other times I just go to Casey's or the Liquor Store instead. That's the good thing. I have several options, though one less now that Country Mart is closed for 11 weeks. I'll really miss their lottery machines, which were so handy for getting my $3 tickets.

      Delete
  3. So, sandle foot got a discount? Did the cashier catch the error? Those ticket sales are highly regulated, I hope she caught it, or it might come out of her pay. I know you were busy spying pennies, but you are a woman who can multitask, so it wouldn't stop you from listening in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I really think she must have cashed in a big winner, or several winners, and the gal was telling her she had $150 left. Then Sandal Foot asked for 8 more tickets, which would have been $160, so she put $10 on her debit card. Just my theory. The stores can cash up to a $500 winner.

      Delete