Wednesday, August 2, 2023

The Pony Follows in Val's Bad-Day Footsteps a Day BEFORE the VALtastrophe

The Pony had his own bad day on Friday. Didn't even make it to noon unscathed.

"Lots of bad omens at work today! 

-I threw up around 3 am but was feeling fine enough to go in.

-So far, on top of the heat and having to case in a bunch of stuff I shouldn't have had to...

-I've had an old lady's stair half-collapse under me. Caught myself so I'm fine but had to warn her, just a bit shaken.

-Plus 2 unleashed dogs of the kind that chase you and bark"

"Please have some Gatorade or Pedialyte with your water. Put a cold towel on your neck. I've been worried about you all week."

"I'm handling it. No Gatorade the last few days. So... not the best. Face gets really red:


Two hours later, I heard from The Pony again:

"I guess I wasn't doing as good as I thought this morning. Had some water right before my bathroom break, and ended up throwing up in the Hardee's bathroom."

"Be careful, it could be heat-related. If you're getting sick, go back and tell them."

"I don't remember who's at the office of the three managers, so I'm gonna keep going. I've got plenty of water. I'll be fine, Mom. Sorry for worrying you."

My poor little Pony! He didn't get better overnight.

"My head's still killing me no matter how much water or ibuprofen I had and I ended up throwing up again at 6 when I got up to get ready. Crap I think I'm gonna have to call out."

By noon on Saturday, The Pony felt well enough to try eating again. I imagine spending time in air-conditioned Pony House was the cure for what ailed him. He was already scheduled off Sunday and Monday. He appears to have recovered now.

12 comments:

  1. I do think The Pony was dehydrated don't you? I hope he drinks lots of Gatorade and water whether he's thirsty or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a headache is a sign of dehydration, plus he was vomiting out his fluids. He takes two big jugs of water. Doesn't like Gatorade, but had forced himself to have some when the office had some they were giving out. I think maybe he was getting heat exhaustion, with his face getting red.

      Delete
  2. Oh my! Throwing up really dehydrates a person. He should drink extra water after that. I drink propel. It can be added to water or can be bought in bottle. I hate Gatorade, too. But, if it is free, chug it. All that sure did make for a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are packets of replacement electrolytes that can be added to water. I'm going to recommend that to The Pony, in case he might like it better than Gatorade. I'm glad the collapsing step didn't gnaw off The Pony's leg! Or those dogs, either.

      Delete
  3. I am glad to hear The Pony made it through what sounds like almost heat stroke. Keep drinking liquids. When I worked in a hot area they told me to take salt tablets, I don't know if that is a good idea or not, best to ask a doctor and don't listen to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony said he ate salty food that night. So maybe something got replaced. He still vomited in the early morning hours afterward, though. So I'm glad he called in sick to recover.

      Delete
  4. Not a good day at all, I'm glad he's feeling better now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! The Pony just had a WORSE day!!! Coming up on Sunday or Monday.

      Delete
  5. Is he wearing sunscreen and reapplying it every few hours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure The Pony uses it this far into the summer. He tans a smooth brown, and that red face is unusual. Mine, on the other hand, shines like a stoplight the minute I step out into the heat.

      Delete
  6. I am sure you are nagging him to stay hydrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! To stop being so finicky about the electrolytes!

      Delete