Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Followed By an Even Badder Evening

You'd think that having a tree almost blocking your road, and discovering that your power was out, would be the low points of the day. But you'd be wrong. Things went from bad to worse as the evening wore on.

It was 4:28 when we discovered that the electricity was off. There was still a little daylight getting into the house, even with the overcast skies. I asked Hick to get some flashlights ready. We knew we only had one flush in each of the three toilets. That I wouldn't be warming up our Chinese leftovers. No air conditioning. No water to drink, only what was in the pipes, since the well runs off electricity. We had hopes the food in FRIG II would survive. And that Hick would make it through the night without his breather.

With nothing else to do, I sat down at the kitchen table and scratched my scratchers in the dim light filtering in the three windows. Welp. I only won $11. Hick was fiddling with flashlights. None worked. Not even with new batteries.

"I have these other two bigger flashlights. But we don't have any D batteries."

"You can go to town and get flashlights and batteries."

"Nah."

"Set those two candles on the cutting block. Get out the matches. Then we'll be ready when it's dark. I'm not leaving them burning. The smoke makes me cough. But I can set one in the bathroom so I can see."

I don't know WHY Hick couldn't be bothered to drive the 10 minutes to town. The wind was down, and it was only raining lightly by then. Surely he didn't want his delicate wifey to go out in that!

Hick sat in the living room recliner, running down his phone. I played Free Cell Solitaire on HIPPIE, who had a full charge. Around 5:30, we got an email from the electric company that our power was out. No known cause. By 6:15, Hick was hungry. And decided to go to Dairy Queen and get us chicken baskets. As soon as he left the driveway, we both got an email that the cause of the outage was a downed tree, 513 customers without power, and the restore time was 4:00 A.M.!!!

At least there was some hope on the far horizon. I grabbed a little ice before it melted, and filled up my metal water bottle with water left in the pipes. Hick texted me that I should go to Pony House, but I had not heard anything from The Pony. Anyway, my supper was coming!

Hick returned with NOT my delicious Honey BBQ Chicken Basket with ranch dressing, but with a dry, dry chicken basket with GRAVY (yuck). So I had to choke down those dry, too-crunchy chicken strips, with only salty white gravy for dipping. In the near-dark. 

After eating, Hick put batteries in the two flashlights. He said the guy at the Dollar Store told him "A lot of people have been coming in and buying flashlights and batteries!" I guess so. Hick could only find three double-packs of D batteries. They cost a fortune! It was $14.76 for six batteries! If he'd been there earlier, he probably could have saved money on a bigger pack. Anyhoo... one flashlight worked great, but the other gave off a faint yellow beam. 

Oh, and Genius sent me a text that only said "Woooo!" Then a picture came in:


That's his $100 winner that he had just scratched, even though I sent it two weeks ago. Good to know SOMEBODY won something. Though I couldn't really be joyous for him, sitting there in the dark with my $11.

At 8:55, The Pony sent me a text: "Oh no! I somehow just saw this."

A likely story! Anyhoo, while texting Pony to pass the time, at 9:04, OUR POWER CAME ON! The first thing I did was plug in HIPPIE. The second thing was flush the toilet. And the third was go wake up Hick in bed so he could turn on his breather and go back to sleep without dying.

Such a relief that we didn't have to wait until 4:00 a.m. for electricity. But still an unpleasant evening.

8 comments:

  1. Yay for The Pony and his big win:) I'm glad you didn't need to wait until 4:00 a.m. for the power to come back on. It's so depressing when it goes out like that. Sorry you had to rough it with your dinner not being what you expected. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genius, the older son in Pittsburgh, had this $100 winner. Though The Pony DID win $500 a few weeks ago!

      Yes, the dinner was the real tragedy! The only thing I had to look forward to, and Hick dashed my hopes. I am thrilled the electricity was fixed before 4:00 a.m. When it went out at The Pony's house a couple weeks ago, the restore time was midnight, but it was after 2:00 a.m. when it came back.

      Delete
  2. When my electricity goes off, I can still flush and bathe and get water. However, it is just miserable with no tv or laptop. Mainly, I worry about the freezer. When my electricity went off, the first thing i would do is take a bath while there was warm water and wash my hair. I might be miserable, but I did not have to look or free miserable. I did not have a machine to breathe, but I sometimes felt miserable with the stale air, especially in the summer. It is good you had the electricity back sooner than they thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, an advantage of living in the middle of SOMEWHERE is that you can still have water without the need of a well pump! We were definitely happy to get power back before the estimated restore time. I was thrilled when the kitchen light came on.

      Delete
  3. I'm always happy when power comes back sooner than expected. D batteries are expensive here too, I have an LED camping lantern that takes four D batteries and got a shock at the price, since I hadn't needed D batteries for anything for years. My little radio takes C batteries and I keep them handy for power outages so I still have something to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The price per battery is cheaper in a larger pack. So one 6-pack would have been more economical that three 2-packs. The men who went to get them as soon as their wife commanded them probably bought them up earlier!

      It's hard to get a radio station here. Probably a combination of the location, and the metal roof. Or the device. I can get radio stations in T-Hoe, but not on my CD player radio in the house.

      Delete
  4. I always have solar lights in the yard, the cheap king form the $ Tree, but they work fine inside, too. I just pull the top off and put one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen. They lend enough light to be able to walk around without tripping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom had those along her porch. Hick has motion-activated lights along our brick sidewalk in front of the house. The dogs set them off through the wee hours of the morning, during their barkfests.

      Delete