Tuesday, August 29, 2023

The Universe Continues Conspiring Against Val

I left for town a bit early on Monday, to get to Save A Lot before the after-prison and after-school crowd. I parked facing the store, hoping to come out before the car next to me left, and a close-parker took the space.

The shopping went well. I got everything I went in for. Bananas, dill pickle spears, paper plates, salsa, green beans, and individual mini bags of assorted potato chips. Along with some hamburger and bratwursts that looked too good to pass up. I was second in line, and had an efficient old-lady checker. Sturdy boxes were up front under the bagging counter. So I was out of there within 20 minutes of entry.

Back outside, I stowed away my groceries, returned the cart to the corral, and started up T-Hoe. And started up T-Hoe. Um. T-HOE WOULD NOT START!

Well. That was a fine kettle of fish. I called Hick, hoping he would answer. He did! Not only that, but he was just across the street at the Do-It Center. I had power to put the windows down. At least it was a balmy 82 degrees, rather than 102. I opened T-Hoe's door and closed it, so the radio and power went off. You never know if that's a good thing, when your car won't start.

Hick arrived within 10 minutes. 

"What's it doing? Will it turn over?"

No. It would not. Just a little clicky noise. 

"Your battery is dead."

Hick popped open the hood and jiggled the battery cables. Told me to try again. Nothing.

"I need to go borrow some jumper cables. I'll go up to Mick's and get a set."

"How are you going to be able to reach my battery?"

"I'll park across from you. I'll have to wait until that car leaves, then try to get around there before someone else parks in it."

Of all the people not to carry jumper cables, I would never have picked Hick! Even The Pony carries a set of jumper cables, and he doesn't even know how to use them!

Anyhoo... Hick returned with not just jumper cables, but a little case that is a charger thingy, so all he had to do was hook it up to my battery. Started first time.

"At what point are you? Do you still have to shop? You're good unless you turn off the car."

"No. I got it already. But I was going to get some lottery tickets. I don't guess you'd like to ride along and sit in the car while I go in..."

"Just leave it running. Nobody's going to steal it around here."

What an insult to T-Hoe!

"I'll take this charger back, and follow you home."

"Wait. If it's going to run, why would you need to follow me?"

"To bring your car back to town to get a battery put in!"

Oh. Nevermind. I felt funny leaving T-Hoe running while I went into the Gas Station Chicken Store. But Hick was right. Nobody took T-Hoe.

I am now $253.80 poorer, and one battery richer. I asked Hick how old my old battery was.

"I'm not sure. Five or six years, maybe. I think the last time I got you one was before I retired. So even older than that."

Yeah. Hick retired in 2017. He really needs to take better care of me T-Hoe. What if he hadn't answered his phone? Hick said I could have called AAA. Huh. That's why I have HICK! 

12 comments:

  1. There's a battery charger "Halo" you can buy from QVC. It will charge car batteries, phones, tablets, and has a flashlight. Very easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a well-known technology simpleton, first diagnosed by my tween son Genius, I am not sure I could use such a contraption without electrocuting myself! But I will look into it...

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear that Hick was nearby to help you. That saved a lot of time and stress. I drive a Prius and the car battery is in the trunk and it's a hassle to get to it. I only know because the Prius I had before this one had a battery that had to be replaced. I really hate car problems as most times they are costly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the inconvenience. I don't like disruptions in my plans. Not real fond of the cost, either! That is the best place Hick could have been for helping me. If he was at his SUS2, it would have been a 20 minute drive, plus the time it took him to close up his store.

      Delete
  3. Get yourself a set of jumper cables and one of those charger thingys so you're all set to go next time you need to call Hick. Get a set of jumper cables for Hick too, to keep in his car so he doesn't have to go chassing around for some. I'm glad it wasn't a more serious fault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As IF I would know what to do! I even forgot that we have AAA. I'd like to know what Hick did with his jumper cables. He used to have several sets.

      Delete
    2. You don't have to know what to do, just have them handy so someone else can do the necessary jumpstart.

      Delete
    3. Hopefully someone else would not grab them and run off! You can't be too sure these days.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like someone here, telling me to call AAA! I am a southern belle and we do not handles automotive crisis, that is what our husbands are for! Maintenance of said vehicle is also his responsibility and if done right, AAA is not needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He acts like T-Hoe is supposed to maintain himself! Or like I should have a car creeper and regularly roll under to drain the oil or whatever else you can do from that position. How am I supposed to know that the battery is going bad? Every time I tell him something odd that T-Hoe is doing, Hick laughs at me and says I'm imagining things.

      Delete
  5. We have one of those charger things. I have never used it. I was trained on jumper cables. I have not had a husband since 1981. But, guys always helped me.
    I bought my battery from Auto Zone. I rarely pay for a new battery since they go bad before the warranty is out. One day, there was a problem and I was so upset with their customer service. They gave me a battery to say "sorry."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a regular Hick about getting freebies!

      I can't image my dead battery would have had a 6 or 7 year warranty! Hick usually gets one that's good for 3 years, maybe. So I guess T-Hoe has been running on borrowed time.

      I imagine an older man would help me. Or a young woman. They are the types who have offered to put air in my tires when I park near the air hose, even though I didn't need air at the time. I guess I'm lucky they didn't try to walk me across the street!

      Delete