Monday, August 14, 2023

The Package Deal

You may recall that The Pony had put a hold down on a mail route he likes in Backroads. The regular who held the route let him know that he'd be gone for a while, and might not return. The Pony doesn't have enough seniority to win a bid on that route. It is in demand because the day off is Monday, which gives the route-holder an actual weekend, since regulars don't have to work Sundays. The Pony knew when he got the hold down that it wouldn't last forever. Minimum was a month, but he was hoping for more time as the bids were sorted out, and the route assigned.

The Pony's hold down ended on Saturday. So at least he had six weeks of the route, rather than four. He was a bit apprehensive on Friday evening. Afraid he would be assigned to the route that the other regular had just vacated. The Pony does not like this route, which is over in Bill-Paying Town.

"I'll have to ask if I'm getting that route, or if I can get the usually undertime route over there, and just some extra work in and around the office to make up the hours. If the managers don't want to move me, I'll ask one of the CCAs (City Carrier Assistants) I like if they will put a hold down on it if they want it, because I'm explicitly NOT going to, and then the rules say they will get the hold down. Then I can get the undertime route that ends at Steak N Shake."

"What's the day off? Won't somebody else want that route he's giving up?"

"Some regular might want it. The day off is Tuesday, same as mine now. But that would take a month and change to resolve the bids. A month is a long time to be stuck on one you don't like. The vehicle isn't air conditioned. It's downtown Bill-Paying Town. One-way streets. Businesses. The courthouse. That's why I don't want it. Two of the CCAs like Bill-Paying Town more than I do, in general. I never put a hold down over there."

Talk turned to leave time. The Pony gets 13 days a year. After being a regular for three years, he will get 20 days a year.

"I'm thinking about volunteering for some holidays. You can get 8 hours of leave instead of the holiday pay. Labor Day and Columbus Day wouldn't be bad, since I still have my Tuesday off. Like, a three-day weekend if I don't work it. Or eight hours running packages, then not having to work the next day."

"Do you like packages?"

"PHRASING! And eh, for routes you know, they're easy."

"Heh, heh! I didn't think of my phrasing!" [Didn't consider the slang meaning of package.]

At 4:26 on Saturday, I got a text from The Pony:

"Forgot to say on my break. They gave me what I wanted-the undertime route, and I just pivot/case extra. I'll have an AC vehicle most or every day unless they move me to cover routes on callouts. 40 hours a week, but probably some over, which is fine."

So The Pony is happy, not being assigned to the route he detests. No definitive word on his package proposition.

4 comments:

  1. A little stressful during the new route bidding time unless you have more seniority:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony is at the bottom of the barrel of regulars, since he's the newest one. So he has no delusions of getting a route that others might want. He can still put hold-downs on a route, which I think is handled first-come/first-serve. Not sure. But he's gotten several holds without issue. He just didn't want to be assigned permanently to that route he doesn't like.

      Delete
  2. I'm happy he got what he wanted, AC is always a better deal.

    ReplyDelete