Friday, August 18, 2023

Askin' For an Axin'

Once again, I found myself in line at the School-Turn Casey's on Thursday. The pleasant bearded clerk was still working the register on the left. He didn't mention the thrice-scan technique for the card-reader, so I'm guessing that issue was fixed. 

This time, the register on the right was also open. Not that it made service any faster. Bearded Guy was again bagging a dude's items. Too many! This is not Walmart! The gal on the right looked just like the sarcastic character Mona that Kat Dennings played in The House Bunny. [2:34 trailer on YouTube] Gotta say, that's one of my favorite movies, and one of my favorite characters. 
Sullen Gal, the clerk, not so much.

She had the short black hair, a facial piercing or two, and the black hoodie of the Kat Dennings character. I don't mind the first two. People can style themselves as they wish, as long as they are presentable in the workplace. Sullen Gal was NOT! She was wearing the hood UP on that freakin' hoodie! Not a good look for a business, unless it's in the business of selling hoodies.

Both customers ahead of me were done. Bearded Guy was trying to deal with two slips of paper that are the receipts from winning draw tickets. I'm sure they must be accounted for in the cash drawer, or a lottery bag. Sullen Gal kept walking over to talk to him, phone in hand as it had been during the previous guy's transaction. Not just holding it. Actively swiping it. Complaining that she was denied her password for the THIRD TIME, and had to reset it AGAIN.

That seems like personal business to me. Not only was she taking up MY time, and that of other customers waiting in line, but also that of Bearded Guy, preventing him from doing his duties. Sullen Gal could not have been less interested in helping me. I was encroaching on her time with her phone, and whatever site she was trying to get into.

Seriously, people. Buy stock in handbaskets. Put a down payment on a handbasket. Give one a test drive. The world is about to take a ride south, and you want a sturdy vehicle for the journey.

11 comments:

  1. I've been told that it has gotten so bad, that even a bad employee is better than no employee at all. And don't even try to correct them or criticize them, as they will be highly offended and likely will quit immediately. There aren't enough handbaskets, I'm afraid. (very afraid) Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lack of handbaskets is because the handbasket factory can't keep employees!

      Hick has a friend with a daughter in her early 20s. She got a job in Florida, full time with benefits. She quit after a month, because they expected her to COME IN EVERY DAY, MONDAY THRU FRIDAY, AND STAY FOR 8 HOURS!

      Delete
    2. OMG - why doesn't that surprise me? I know of a young lady, a bit older, who has a great paying job with great benefits but "she doesn't like working there" and is thinking about quitting, thinking there are jobs with great pay and great benefits all over the place. If only. The young people of today would be embarrassed and disgusted with some of the jobs I held and sometimes I had 2 jobs and neither of them provided benefits. Oh, the humanity!! (And I worked my tail off at every job I ever had.) Ranee

      Delete
    3. It's a different generation. I worked as a cashier at Casey's, having 10 years of teaching experience and a master's degree. I was happy to get the job. Some of the men teachers painted houses all summer. Kids these days think they're too good to take a minimum wage job. I guess they must live on money their parents worked so hard to save...

      Delete
  2. You had me scratching my head with the hand basket reference, when it finally registered in my thick head I had a good laugh.
    Last year at bowling, I needed a single dollar to pay the balance of the weekly league tab and I only had a five. I went to the desk, held up my bill and asked the young lady if she could change a five. She said "No problem" took my five dollar bill and gave me a different five dollar bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you are not the ONLY Thick-Head in Jersey!

      Delete
    2. !!!!! That's almost unbelievable.

      Delete
  3. I don't think there is a need for handbaskets since Hell is quite clearly coming to us instead of us going down there. All the fires everywhere are a clue, along with sullen checkout workers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's bad news for my Proposed Handbasket Factory. As well as just plain bad news in general.

      Delete
  4. When I find a great employee who gives great service, I compliment them to their face and to the management.

    When I went to Arby's in Alabama, I asked for the turkey sandwich with bacon on the side since I hate two meats together. I opened the bag and found no bacon. I opened the sandwich and found four pieces of bacon in a square around the outside surface of the turkey. I was not at the window or I would have explained 'on the side' the enlighten the woman, not to complain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! Good thing you didn't ask that Arby's gal to "change a five." Who knows what mess she might have made of that!

      Just yesterday, I complimented my Gas Station Chicken Store cashier for being so efficient and cheerful every time I see her. Management doesn't work the hours I'm there, unless I have a $500 winner to cash in, and go early.

      Delete