Sunday, August 6, 2023

The Third Time is Not So Charming

When The Pony woke up on Thursday morning, I'm sure he thought his continued lack of electricity was going to be the worst part of his day. If only...

Going about his workday, The Pony sent me a couple of pictures of downed trees. Then at 1:27, he let me know that the inside door handle at Domino's was missing. By 2:06, his day took a dramatic turn.

"Juuuuuuuust great. Bitten by a dog."


"NOOOO!" Do you know where it belongs? To see if it had shots?"

"Yeah. Because the people were out there."


"So now what? Do you report it? It was probably acting worse BECAUSE the people were out there, and in its mind they needed protecting."

"It was a fat little Corgi mix."

"Did you protect yourself with your satchel, per regulations discussed during training? Unsuccessfully, I mean!"

"Well it ran up behind me from nowhere after I'd put in their mail and talked to them. So no."

"Dad is on his way to meet HOS about some insulation for the flip house. In case you would need a ride to the doctor, he's around, so call him."

"Nah. You saw the picture, it's fine."

"Did the people offer to pay for your series of rabies shots? It looks like one small puncture. But still, it at least needs disinfecting from that butt-licking mouth."

"Considering the dog was still out and unleashed, I'm sure you get why I kept walking."

"Did they see it happen? And not say anything? I guess you won't have to deliver to that house now!"

"They were talking. Yes. 90 percent sure they said he'd had his shots, but you know my memory and listening skills."

"Rabies is rare in town, and also uncommon our here. What are the odds of a dog being bit by an animal that actually has rabies? Slimmer than Dad's chance of winning a hand pay while betting 40 cents. Dad says to make sure you tell your manager."

"I did. Sent her pictures. But it's 100 percent not worth dealing with workers comp and [REDACTED] again."

"I agree. Considering the odds of rabies in a town dog."

"They're supposed to force me to see a doctor since it's bleeding, but since I really don't want to deal with workers comp and [REDACTED] in Kansas City again, I'm just gonna clean it when I get home."

"Will you get in trouble for not going?"

"No. Management would. It's a 'don't mention it to co-workers or the union' thing, since it's ME that doesn't want to deal with the doctor." 

"It's a no-win situation all around if you go to the doctor. First you have to find one that will treat workers comp. Also, doctors are mandated reporters. They have to report the dog bite. If it hasn't had shots, the dog's brain has to be sent off to test for rabies, which of course kills the dog and saddens the owners. Unless maybe they pay to have it boarded for a couple weeks to be observed for rabies. But then it would be too late for you since you'd already have rabies! If Jack bit ME, I wouldn't go to the doctor. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have rabies, even without shots, and chasing all kinds of wild animals."

"Yeah. Like when Copper Jack bit me when I gave them all treats that one time. I still have the scar from it."

"Maybe you're immune to rabies, heh, heh!"

About three hours later, The Pony sent me an update:


"Bruising and teeth tracks. Only about 45 minutes left till I'm home."

"I knew it would bruise. Make sure to wash it good with soap, and use triple antibiotic ointment and a bandaid."

"You'll have quite a blog saga out of this!"

[DON'T I KNOW IT!]

After he was home, The Pony sent another picture:


"Cleaned off. It bled a bit more after I wiped away the scab."

"That washes out germs. You don't want a puncture wound sealed off to ferment! Slather it with antibiotic, then bandaid."

And now we begin the colorful journey that was Friday. 

"Ugh. Didn't sleep great. Current bite."


"It looks good! Keep up with the ointment and bandaid for a couple days, just in case."

"Yeah."


"A warrior's wound."

"Since when are we Vikings?"

"You battle the streets every day!"

"Haha."

By 11:30, The Pony felt the bite.

"Leg is sore and slightly leaky, going by the bandaid."

"Sorry it's sore, but good that stuff comes out rather than being trapped to fester."

"Yeah. Bruise is still growing a bit."

"It's a crush injury, mainly, with a puncture. Those jaws crack bones. Your body is clearing the damaged tissue."


"Yeah, a bruise spreads out. Especially if you're walking on the leg. And gravity."

"Just keeping you updated so you don't worry!"

The 4:40 picture was not so pretty:


"More yucky without the bandaid."

"It was bumped-up and swollen right after it happened. So damaged cells to be carried away. That's why injuries swell. The plasma coming to wash away those dead cells. Hope it's not too painful for you."

"Not really painful. Just slowing me down more than I thought."

"You're not superhuman. You have an injury. Allow yourself to slow down."

The latest update, from Saturday morning:


"I think it's fine without a bandaid today."

"Looks like it's healing."

By Saturday night, it was looking better:


"Just the bruise right now."

"That's good. Watch in case it gets red and hot with infection. Your hole looks good, heh, heh!"

"Yeah, it's only a bit warmer than the other calf. Your comment made me choke on my cheetos."

Let the record show that The Pony keeps his legs shaved smooth. Not sure if it functions like a swimmer having less drag in the water, so he finishes his route quicker... or like cyclists keeping their legs shaved so that road rash heals faster when they wreck. I think with this incident, it's the latter.

Short of showing up to work foaming at the mouth... I think The Pony is going to make it.

8 comments:

  1. The Pony sure goes through a lot in his job of delivering the mail. If I was the owner of that dog, I'd at least give The Pony some kind of treat or reward for being so kind as to not report the dog and I'd feel horrible about my dog biting him. The bite caused a LOT more bruising than I thought it would when I first saw the bite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony was also given a little bottle of dog spray, I think, in his initial allotment of post office swag upon hire. They are instructed to put their satchel between themselves and an attacking dog. Might have worked when the satchels were leather, but now they're nylon. And when you don't see a dog coming, neither the spray nor the satchel technique will work. At least The Pony didn't take a chance on going viral, being recorded "abusing" a dog if he had fought it off!

      The Pony had to fill out a card for the dog bite, so he doesn't have to deliver to that house. The people must keep the dog inside, or tied up, during the time their mail is delivered. Or else go pick it up at the post office. But at least their dog is not being taken away. If there's a second incident, I think they can't get home delivery. This is not The Pony's regular route. So whoever gets it by bidding will at least be safe from that dog.

      No matter how much you love your pets, and don't expend them to attack, they are still animals, and unpredictable. Our little Jack has bitten a neighbor while he was walking away from Hick's Gator. Thankfully he was wearing boots, and Jack is a small dog with a tiny mouth. So no damage was done.

      When I saw that swelling had already started in that initial picture, I figured more damage would show up.

      Delete
  2. Had to laugh at the image of the Pony foaming at the mouth!! Most dogs, well most animals like me. My son has a rottwieller now and on our last visit he bit my hand. I had two punctures and it hurt so bad! It was sore for quite awhile. Zues does like me now, as I have learned to carry treats in my pocket before entering the house. When he does rear up and bark at me I just tell him to back off or do without the stale traet in my pocket. He reponds well to a stern voice. His leg looks sore and the bruise is impressive! When we had dog bite victims in the ER we were required to called the police to come and make a report to have the dog picked up. I bet the dogs did not realize it was illegal to bite strangers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least The Pony has two fewer teeth with which to bite people now!

      I'd be more worried if it was a scroungy stray that ran out of nowhere to attack The Pony. This was a pet protecting his people and home. So not acting all rabies-crazy. Just a misunderstanding, that's all! The Pony has seen aggressive dogs elsewhere, and goes by the houses without delivering, and fills out a dog card if it happens several times.

      That Corgi might never bite anyone again. At least his doggie parents have the option of keeping him un-loose during mail times. I'd hate to think he'd be put down for this. It would be different if he had a history of attacking, or was a big strong dog that wouldn't let go.

      Delete
  3. The bite looks healed already, closed and not red. The bruise will take longer but shouldn't hurt by now unless it gets bumped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony's decision NOT to go to the doctor saved everybody a lot of needless suffering and bureaucracy, even though he had a bit of pain.

      Delete
  4. We had a short dog who terrorized the mail lady but never bit anyone. The mail lady remembered me 50 yrs later and was still miffed. I thought she was going to quit delivering mail just because the dog was scaring her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She actually did you a favor, because carriers can refuse to deliver to an address where they feel threatened by a loose dog. I would say that being "terrorized" by your dog would qualify for making her feel unsafe.

      In Backroads, a couple blocks of houses can no longer get home delivery, because one resident has a loose dog that chases the mail carrier. A set of outside mailboxes was installed on the street at the dead-mouse-smelling post office for those folks, and they now have to go pick up their mail. It looks like the metal boxes that apartment dwellers utilize to get their mail.

      Delete