Thursday, August 24, 2023

Mainstream Bingo Ain't That Easy

A couple weeks ago, Hick joined some of his Senior Center cronies to play bingo at a local sports bar. He won NOTHING! And affirmed my comment that it must be harder to win when playing against people who are younger than Methuselah's granddad, who actually pay attention, and can see their bingo card.

Hick was disappointed that he didn't win a "price." But he got over the shock. In fact, he went back last night. It costs nothing to play. I'm sure the sports bar makes a profit on their eats and drinks. Bingo must be a good tactic to fill the place on a Wednesday night. Hick said that last time, there were 197 people playing. The grand prize was a kayak. To win it, you had to be the first person to bingo with an X in the ninth game, the last game of the night.

The new grand prize is a wood-pellet grill and smoker. Hick said if he wins that, he will keep it, not sell it. He also said there are several other "prices," but didn't explain what it takes to win them. No, it's not toilet paper, or a Duck Dynasty Si that talks when you pull his beard. Some are cash, like $100. One was a 72 inch flat-screen TV. The one Hick most wants to win is the jackpot you get if you can bingo in less than 11 numbers, I think. That "price" is up to $10,000 !!!! Again, I'm not clear on where this money comes from if there is no fee to play. Hick says this sports bar is linked up with a lot of other businesses for this bingo game. So they're not the one giving out $10,000 (or more).

Anyhoo... this new hobby keeps Hick off the streets, and I don't have to cook supper for him.

12 comments:

  1. I havenever played bingo and I know I wouldn't be any good at it. I'm kind of proud of Hick for keeping on trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandma won all the time, wherever she played bingo. She was lucky with bingo like I'm lucky with lottery. Hick is happy, even when he wins toilet paper. So he will try again.

      Delete
  2. Those are some fancy prizes. I wonder how they can do that and not charge to play. Send him back if you don't have to cook supper for him. That is a 'price' right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that those are great prizes when playing for free. I can only guess that maybe they make enough profit off the players buying food and drinks. Last time, Hick had a burger and fries and two beers. This time, he had some kind of Cajun sandwich, some cheese sticks, and a soda. If even half of those 197 players buy stuff, it's probably a pretty good deal for the sports bar.

      Yes, Hick has my permission to play bingo there on Wednesday nights!

      Delete
  3. Bingo is a game that our old people community play every friday night. I used to play until migraines took my concentration away, if there is no pain, then I can go. Hick will win something someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your migraines take a vacation and let you play bingo. The Pony has migraines, which are the main reason he sometimes takes a sick day. He doesn't feel safe driving on those days.

      Delete
  4. I know I left a few words here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found your original comment in SPAM. If there was an award for most comments in SPAM, you would win it! Don't know why your comments go there. Every now and then, Blog Buddy Kathy goes to SPAM, but not as often as you...

      Delete
  5. I hope he wins, just think, he could use it to buy another flip property! Or, he could split it with you .......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! Just this evening, Hick said he imagined another flip house to be in our future. He has to finish this one first. That guy never showed up. Not that he would have liked our price, I'm sure...

      I don't expect Hick to share any winnings with me. I don't share my lottery winnings with him. Nor does he share his Storage Unit Store profits. Our hobbies are separate from our pooled finances.

      Delete
    2. I figure everything I own and do to make money to be mine, but I figure his earnings and efforts that make money are mine, too. I doubt he could hire someone to take care of him like I do!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, without QUITTING from the treatment they receive!

      Delete