Remember a couple weeks ago, when I was surrounded by Amazon delivery vans, when I'd never heard of them or seen one before? My package arrived at just the right time, as I was coming up the driveway. That's when I noticed the lack of joy in the deliveryperson.
It's taken me nine days, but I FINALLY realized who that Amazon Driver reminded me of: OTTO, the school bus driver on The Simpsons. He looked exactly like Otto, but with his long bushy black hair pulled back in a neck-nape ponytail.
As I sat in T-Hoe's driver's seat, parked off the driveway in my front yard, I thought Otto might bring that package over to me. That's what I would have done, if I was an Amazon Driver, and a car came up the driveway and pulled off into the yard while I was getting the package out of my van. I'd walk over and ask, "Did you order something?" And hand them the package. Saving myself a walk across the concrete carport, gravel driveway, Hick-laid brick sidewalk, and steps to the porch. Just hand it to the person and be done. I don't think Amazon takes a picture of their delivery like FedEx. I didn't get one.
Anyhoo... Otto glanced at me, then awkwardly, stepping over Jack and dodging Pepper's playful gamboling, walked my small bag of three vitamin bottles to front door and set it down. Walked back to his white Amazon van and got in. Not acknowledging me at all.
As Otto drove past me on the gravel driveway, I gave the lifted-finger wave, and a thank-you nod. Otto wouldn't look at me! He appeared to be silently fuming! His cheeks were flushed. His hair looked extra-wiry. As if I had annoyed him by coming home to see the delivery!
Maybe Otto just does not like his job. More likely, just does not like to work. He was definitely Gen Z. The kind I see out and about sometimes, who would rather slither through a door and let it close on his shirttail rather than give it an extra push for the person on his heels. The thought of actually holding it open for somebody would be as alien as deciphering a rotary phone or an analog clock.
I really wanted Otto to know that I appreciated his delivery, but he was having none of it.
I think those are tough jobs! I certainly would not want to do it. Hopefully Otto understood somewhere you appreciated it :(
ReplyDeleteIt wasn't for lack of trying on my part! I just think that generation processes things differently. He might not even have cared if anybody appreciated his work or not.
DeleteIn general, I don't think people treat delivery drivers particularly nice. They see them as a service and don't consider the human that is providing that service to them. I don't think they are supposed to give a package to someone who has just driven in as you may not have been the homeowner. And yes, they do take photos, but occasionally I've not gotten one either. It may have felt a little weird for him, being watched. IDK, but at least you didn't watch him wind up and throw it near the door from ten feet away. Yeah, it happens. Ranee
ReplyDeleteI've had a UPS driver hand me a package from his truck, as we passed on Hick and Buddy's Badly Blacktopped Hill. I asked if he had a delivery for me (my name, and company the package was from), to save him some effort. He stepped into the back of the truck, and handed it to me. That was back in the day when they'd knock on the door, and before any picture-taking.
DeleteWe never see our Amazon deliverers. they are darn quick on their feet.
ReplyDeleteIf I was in the house, I'd never know. I came home at just the right time. Like catching Santa in the act!
DeleteSome people use common sense and others go by the books. Out of sorts Otto!
ReplyDeleteMaybe Otto was new, and was concerned about getting his route done in time. He did not walk with confidence.
DeleteI'm not a people person either so how did I manage 12 years at a supermarket checkout? We'll never know, but I did get good at it. Perhaps Otto was making his first ever delivery run and was nervous? Or perhaps he was called in to replace a regular driver and really wanted to be home with his gaming toys/machines instead.
ReplyDeleteI'm guessing he was new at the job, and overwhelmed with finding the addresses, and getting done before quitting time.
DeleteUsed to be a time when there wasn't such a turnover in delivery drivers. I always knew the drivers and would chat a bit with them. Not a good idea here, they love to talk in the south and one can be trapped in conversation for a very long time!
ReplyDeleteBless their heart!
Delete