Thursday, June 8, 2023

The Mortification Is Real

I picked a good time to go throught the Dairy Queen drive-thru on Wednesday. Only four cars ahead of me. The line moved quickly. I was sitting behind a lone car before I knew it. Behind me, a single car pulled up.

The lady in the car ahead of me got a chocolate dip cone. It looked delicious, but I'm not a fan of DQ ice cream, preferring the soft pretzel sticks for a savory treat. I watched the worker hand out the cone, and take the lady's cash. Change came back out the window quickly.

Inside that car, I could see the lady holding her cone, and putting her change in something on the console. 

HONK!!!

What in the Not-Heaven? Where did THAT come from? It was not me. But I was afraid that lady would think I was honking at her to get out of my way, since she already had her treat. 

NO! It wasn't me! I was not in a hurry. You can't just take off driving a 2-ton vehicle while holding a chocolate dip cone in one hand, and change in the other hand! Better safe than sorry. Sorry for a wreck, or sorry for dropping your treat.

I suppose the HONK came from the car behind me. It looked like a couple teenage passengers. Maybe one of them reached over and hit the horn. Maybe it was a joke. Maybe they could only see the hands reaching out the window, and not the lady getting her change stowed away.

Anyhoo... let the record show that Val has a horn, and is not afraid to use it. Like the day before, when a Speedy McSpeederson came round the curve on our blacktop county road by the sheep field, more then half on my side of the road. I slammed on T-Hoe's brakes, and pounded the horn. Tragedy narrowly averted. T-Hoe almost lost his front bumper!

Anyhoo... I hope that lady didn't think I was the one honking. But she probably did. Falsely accused! For once Val didn't earn her scorn.

4 comments:

  1. I hope at least she didn't drop her ice cream cone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked like she was still clutching it when she pulled forward, driving with one hand.

      Delete
  2. Losing the ice cream would be a tragedy! Just think of her taste buds all set for a delicious sweet treat and then ..... splat onto the passenger seat, or even worse, her lap. Ladies such as us would never deny someone a midday treat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. I would never interfere with the consumption of ice cream. Unlike my "friends" in the college dorm, who waited until I was lapping up my chocolate soft-serve cone in the elevator, after leaving the dining hall, and SMASHED IT INTO MY FACE. It wasn't so much the mess, but the LOSS OF MY DELICIOUS DAILY ICE CREAM that made me chastise them.

      Delete