Friday, February 25, 2022

Trapped With a Rat

Hick did not go to town to work on Pony House on Thursday morning! I suppose it was just as well, what with bringing home SilverRedO less that 24 hours earlier, MOSTLY repaired from the snowy slip on Feb 3. I say MOSTLY, because I overheard Hick on the phone telling The Veteran that Mick the Mechanic still needs to replace the broken tail light.

Anyhoo... Hick declared that it was too dangerous to go to town on the sleet, with more sleet and freezing rain expected to start by 11:00. He told his helper they weren't working. He made himself bacon and eggs. He left two pieces of bacon on a plate for The Pony. No mention was made to me about extra bacon. Nor was I asked if I'd like some eggs. That's Hick for you. 

I heard some cracking or rustling or other unexplainable noise behind my head, from the kitchen, as I was sitting on the short couch.

"What are you doing?"

"Cleaning the cutting block."

"Cleaning OFF the cutting block?"

"No. Cleaning the cutting block. Scrubbing it. It's dirty."

"Um. It's ALWAYS going to be dirty, unless you sand off a few millimeters of wood. It's all those layers of oil that someone used to condition it when it was a real butcher block. Every time I wipe it off with a wet paper towel from the dishwater, it comes out black. No matter how many times I wipe it."

"Huh."

By that answer, I could tell that Hick was finding out the same thing. It's not like we toss our bare food on the cutting block without a plate, and start eating, as if from a trough! I don't know why he sees the need to scrub the cutting block. I wipe it off every day when I wash the dishes.

Speaking of dish-washing... later in the evening, I was sudsing up the CHINESE TUPPERWARE that came with our carry-out on Wednesday. I couldn't find my green scrubby thing. It's that dark green rough stuff like on one side of a sponge, but it's just a little rectangle of the green stuff. Flat. A little bigger than a sponge. 

"Hey, where did my green scrubby thing go? I need it to get in the little grooves at the edge of the Chinese Tupperware. To get all the oil out. And to get the gummy rice stuff off the silverware."

"I used it. To clean the cutting block."

"WHAT? You didn't ask! Where is it?"

"I throwed it away. It was dirty."

"You threw away my green scrubby thing? And didn't even tell me? It could have been washed! I need it! I use it every day! A plain sponge is too soft for some things."

"I figured you had more."

"No. I don't. So you'll have to go buy me more green scrubby things. Since you threw my last one away."

I can't imagine what kind of item Hick will bring home and declare that it's the same as a green scrubby thing. I'd show you a picture, and give him one to have on his phone while he shops, but he THREW AWAY the last green scrubby thing. Don't for one second think that by holding it in his hands, he will remember what it was like.

This is why Hick needs to get out of the house every day. EVERY day.

10 comments:

  1. I have occasionally been chastised for tossing a paper towel or even an ounce of water from a glass, but I would never toss one of those green scrubby things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, for when I hear you scrubbing my cutting block.

      Delete
  2. Husbands!! Gah! :-/ The struggle is read. Here daily.
    Yesterday husband says, "Welllllllllll, I think I need to go to the doctor. I hit my head pretty hard the other day when underneath the deck splitting/stacking firewood. I've had a headache ever since." I responded: "WHAT? And you are just telling me this NOW? Do you realize you could have died in your sleep of brain swelling, brain bleed, etc.?????" I get this blank stare.
    I replied, "Well, I guess you would have left me a wealthy widow, at least!" LMAO! He didn't find that funny! Oh well...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOSH! That headache is a classic sign of a concussion! At least he can't blame you for trying to kill him. He's doing it to himself!

      Delete
  3. I know a few people who love those green scouring pads, but I don't, I'll use a dish brush to get into grooves and to clean the tines on forks. If I need to scrub anything, I prefer a soapy fine steel wool pad, it doesn't scratch. My ex used a green scourer on my saucepan lids, which are glass and now they are scratched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never had an issue with my green scrubby things. I use them on my glass 9x11 pan after chicken sticks to the bottom. Works like a charm. It's Pyrex, I think. I don't have any glass lids.

      Delete
  4. Dollar and Quarter store has a dozen of those for $1.25 in a variety of colors. Think of the fun you could have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! We have a Dollar (and a quarter) Store next to Save A Lot. Too bad Hick didn't know. He bought me more at Walmart yesterday. I'm sure they cost more than $1.25.

      Delete
  5. I like to have Brillo pads on hand AND green scrubbies. I got both at the $1.25 store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick got me Scotch-Brite as the replacements. They are thicker and scratchier than the green scrubber thingies I had before.

      Delete