Friday, December 31, 2021

Val's Secrets Revealed

Too click-baity in the title? Perhaps. But for those of you mystified by my mention of YELLOW onions, I shall pull back the curtain and SHOW you what I'm talkin' about. After all, this is the Show-Me State. I shall make my blog the Show-You Blog.

Here are the yellow onions:

 
They're not exotic. Maybe you just call them "onions." They're not the sweet onions like Vidalias. Just a regular onion. They are great for roasting with carrots and potatoes, like this big pan I made for Christmas dinner and leftovers:

 
Mmm... can't you smell them from here? Of course, you can't see the wedges of onions in this pan. Maybe one if you look really close. There are baby carrots on the bottom, then the onions, then golden potatoes. They're like Yukon Gold, but Country Mart brand is just called Gold Potatoes. The Pony prefers them to the Idaho potatoes I used to put in. Which are more crumbly and not as waxy or sweet as the Gold. 
 
Anyhoo... I shake in some Hidden Valley Ranch powder on each layer, then top the whole thing with bacon, and bake, covered, at 300 or 350 until I think they're done. It usually takes an hour or a little more. I put the carrots in to cook while I'm cutting up the onions and potatoes.

Yellow onions. No longer a mystery.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was SO delicious! Five days with leftovers that I looked forward to.

      Delete
  2. Oh, you mean onions! Don't like them myself, can't take the texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you, 13? Maybe I have some chicken nuggets in the freezer more suited to your delicate palate. The Pony also has a texture issue. He'll eat the onions on a hamburger, but he won't eat the cooked onions unless they're diced in fried rice.

      Delete
    2. Then you'll reach your onion quota for today. He's had onion slices on his lunch hamburger(s), and will be eating the onion-enhanced fried rice for supper.

      Delete
  3. Do you uncover it when almost finished cooking to crisp up the bacon a bit? It really looks good and bacon always makes food taste better. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on who's going to eat the bacon. Hick and The Pony don't like it crisp, but I do. We usually have another meat with this as a side dish, and save the bacon. I warm it in the oven if Hick wants a sandwich, where I can control the crispness. If I'm using the bacon on top of my 7 Layer Salad, I DO take the lid off to crisp it at the end.

      Delete
  4. With the skins on they look just like our brown onions, which are white inside the skins. Are yours white inside the skins or yellow? It's hard to tell in the picture because everything is cooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yellow onions are white inside, but not as bright as the white onions. I wouldn't call them yellow, just not bright white. When they cook, they get translucent, and are easier to bite through than the white onions.

      Delete
  5. Thank you, now I know they are the same as what we call brown onions. And while we're on the subject, I don't recall seeing any white onions in the stores for quite some time. Not that I care, I use the red ones in salads, or spring onions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick had no trouble finding white onions. They practically threw themselves into his cart! Just because I wanted the yellow onions.

      The Pony likes red onions. He says, "When I buy my own groceries and make my own food, I always use red onions." I like them in a salad, but I generally don't buy them.

      Delete