Tuesday, June 19, 2018

The Alfredo Experiment

Let the record show that Val is not a big fan of pasta. It is rarely served in her kitchen, and then only upon the request of her house men, with Hick being the sole one of those in residence at this time. It was easy enough to boil up some spaghetti, and mix together a sauce from Ragu and Save A Lot pizza sauce and canned mushrooms and minced garlic and hamburger and fresh-ground black pepper, with two packets of Splenda to cut the acidic properties. That's when all three guys were under the homestead roof. But to make it just for Hick...well...he doesn't get spaghetti very often.

However...

A couple weeks ago, I was trying to think up new foods to make for supper. Hick will never voice his requests. I have to spout out a list, and say I'm making an item, to judge his response. If he's not enthusiastic, I switch to another dish. This one, I didn't run by Hick. It's a pointless exercise, really. He always eats what I prepare.

I got to thinking about when I was working, and it was Teacher Appreciation Week, or maybe Parent Conference Night, when catered food was brought in. Pasta House was pretty common. Even though Val is not a fan of pasta, you can bet she elbowed her way to the trough (actually, the counter of the teacher workroom) to get her fair share. One item I enjoyed was the flat noodle with white sauce and chicken and peas and mushrooms. I'm sure it has a name. But I don't need a name to make it.

Of course Val doesn't make white sauce. She's not a Michelin chef. I don't know what kind of noodles those were, but I got the closest thing I could find at Walmart, which happened to be a flat egg noodle from the bottom shelf of the pasta aisle. I also grabbed two jars of Alfredo Sauce, because it's white, and I didn't know how much I might need. Plus, I got canned white meat chicken, and frozen sweet peas, and canned mushroom pieces and stems. Hick loves his mushrooms. So I got a big can.

I boiled the noodles as noted on the package, adding some butter and minced garlic to the water and a can of chicken broth. Once drained, I stirred in some more butter, the Alfredo, the chicken, the thawed peas, the drained mushrooms, and some shredded parmesan cheese.


That made a lot more than I expected. So we're eating it for several days.


I must say, this is actually a tasty dish, though not the noodle I was looking for. Hick has no complaints, and even declared it "good."

This did not even take a full jar of Alfredo Sauce. So the one that smashed on the garage floor was superfluous.

Pretty sure Hick will be fed this again, after a proper interval has passed from the leftovers.

16 comments:

  1. You can always freeze it, and thaw it out later for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have some buffalo chicken dip (that he eats as a meal) in FRIG II's freezer. He'll be getting that soon. Thanks for the reminder. I already have the Scoops he uses for dipping.

      Delete
  2. Splenda to cut the acidity? SPLENDA?? I always thought real sugar was the thing to use, because Splenda is just chemicals.
    The pasta dish looks nice, I might try that myself one day, but not with canned mushrooms or chicken. I prefer the regular stuff that I have to chop up myself. I don't buy much at all in cans, just baked beans, tomato soup and that four bean mix I put in salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, real sugar is an option IF YOU WANT TO KILL HICK! He has the DIABEETUS, as TV icon Wilford Brimley used to say in that commercial.

      I figure there's enough real sugar in that jar of sauce, without me sweetening the pot with more.

      Delete
    2. I forgot about the diabetes.

      Delete
    3. I wouldn't want to follow your advice, and then give Hick a chance claim, "I'm pretty sure Val is trying to kill me."

      Delete
  3. It looks (& sounds) good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds yummy. I was pleasantly surprised to open
    the freezer and find mostaciolli, which was delicious but probably not very nutritious, as it may have been in there since Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since Easter? That's like "only yesterday" around here! I think the buffalo chicken dip in FRIG II's freezer is from the Super Bowl. Which would have been February.

      Delete
  5. Looks good, I'd swap out bacon for the chicken or hell, maybe just add bacon to your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it...I think YOU had a similar recipe with noodles and peas.

      Delete
    2. Campbell's mushroom soup instead of Alfredo sauce.

      Delete
    3. And it won't break on the garage floor!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I hope you've been working out, so you can elbow your way up to the trough!

      Delete