Friday, May 4, 2018

Don't Worry, He Wasn't Armed

Hick was up early yesterday, with plans to work on a surveillance system for back-creek neighbor Bev. Her husband bought the system, and had it all ready to go, except for running the wire and attaching the cameras. They have six. Hick says four would be plenty.

Anyhoo...Hick needed his long ladder that was under the porch here at the house, from when we had hail damage on our roof. He needed tools and stuff from the BARn. So he was all over the place gathering equipment.

Later in the day, Hick sent me a text.


The text started with "Big black snake..."

I'm not afraid of snakes. I rather look at pictures of snakes than pictures of feet. Some people are triggered by snakes. They have snakephobia, which I'm sure has a real name, perhaps with herp in it, like a herpetologist studies snakes. But I'm not looking that up right now. Just saying that I was eager to see the snake in Hick's picture.

That's the problem. I looked, and I looked, and I couldn't see the snake. It was like one of those Hidden Objects pictures in Highlights magazine. I looked over the junk. OH! There it was. In the foreground.

I had trouble figuring out the orientation of the snake. It looked like he was standing on his tail. Like Hick had snake-charmed him. Something wasn't right with that picture. I looked closer at Hick's stash of raw material that he simply can't part with. Wire for burning down to copper. Wood for future themed shacks. Metal for whatever you can use metal for. All conveniently piled over by the BARn.

THEN I SAW THE SNAKE!

I should have realized that Hick always puts the subject of his picture in the center, not very big, with a lot of filler around the sides. I re-read the text: "Big black snake in front of barn going under skid pile."

Yep. That was a big black snake. A-slitherin' under that pile of pallets/not-pallets. Hick calls them skids. Maybe they're a stronger version of pallets. Maybe it's a case of couch/sofa...the terms being interchangeable, depending on personal preference.

Anyhoo...I saw the actual snake. I'd been focused on that thing in the foreground. A crowbar, perahps. Or a rusty piece of rebar. Not a snake at all. The actual snake was much bigger!

Don't worry. He wasn't armed. The snake, that is. Heh, heh! Get it? GET IT? A snake doesn't have ARMS! Wheeeedoggie! I crack myself up sometimes!

Oh, Hick wasn't armed, either. He wasn't packin' heat. We would never harm a black snake. They are our rodent-eating friends.

11 comments:

  1. Black snakes don't scare me. I just steer clear and let them have their way with rodents. Hick's photography is almost as good as HeWho's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandma found a giant black snake in her house, inside the baseboard heater. She had the uncles take it outside. Didn't kill it. It never occurred to us to worry about it coming back inside.

      Genius definitely did not get his photographic eye from Hick.

      Delete
  2. Snakes are OK, as long as they don't hide under a towel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they've heard that it's not all that great as a hiding place.

      Delete
  3. I thought he was trying to trick you with that crow bar or whatever it is int he foreground, THEN I saw it, too. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might be an example of how you are probably more like me than you'd care to admit!

      Delete
  4. I got it wrong too. I saw the snake and the crowbar thingy and thought they were both parts of an extremely long snake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the crowbar, then the real thing. Never thought about them being CONNECTED!

      Delete
    2. I had that same original connection.

      Delete
  5. Black snakes may be your friends, but I'll choose my own friends, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is your prerogative. But you might want to reconsider, after an informal survey of your friends reveals that only a couple of them are willing to eat rodents!

      Delete