Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Hick Is Not a Berry Good Fellow

I was putting away groceries in FRIG II this evening, while Hick was standing at the kitchen door, ready to head for his first auction this week. I saw a tipped-over, clear box holding 8 strawberries that had been there all week.

"Oh, I guess I can throw these out. Looks like you're not going to eat them."

"I like strawberries. I just didn't get to them yet."

"Come on. It's not like you're going to cut the tops off them yourself."

"Yeah. You're probably right."

Seriously. How hard is it to cut the tops off 8 strawberries if you want them for a snack? Here's the thing. When I make the evening meal, I'll get strawberries ready for eating. But often times, Hick shows up at irregular hours to make a sandwich for lunch. Or he says he'll warm his supper from leftovers when he's ready to come back in the house. Or he says he doesn't want some items until later, while he's watching TV. I'd already served up our strawberries earlier in the week, and 8 were left over.

Rather than throw them out tonight, I cut the tops off those strawberries after Hick had left.


Yeah. It's not rocket science. It takes about 90 seconds to wash them and lop off the stems and put them in a bowl for later. I set them on the top shelf of FRIG II, next to the bottles of Diet Mountain Dew, and sparkling water, that I put in there for Hick when he "forgets" to make sure his drinks are cool for later.

Why should I be the one to slice those strawberries, for Hick to have for a snack? Seriously. It's not like the olden days when the man worked for wages to support the woman, and she worked at home for free. I've had a career my entire life, same as Hick. We are both retired now. I appreciate how he mows the yard four months of the year, and takes the vehicles for repairs. I'm sure he appreciates having his food brought into the house and prepared for him 365 days a year, and his dishes washed (by hand).

However...I think that Hick is capable of cutting the tops off strawberries, rather than letting them sit there and rot because he wants them, but doesn't want to take the effort to prepare them, or throw them out if he is not in a strawberry mood.

This is the kind of thing, guys, that after 30 years makes us complain, and possibly even call you a JERK.

Oh, I'm sure you're oblivious to our resentment at being the EXPECTED ones to take the tops off your strawberries. As much as I love my Sweet Baboo, I think there are things that he can do for himself.

It's not all about the strawberries, you know.

Think for a minute. When was the last time YOU cut the tops off 8 strawberries, and put them in a bowl in your own FRIG II for your lady to enjoy later as a snack?

Exactly.

8 comments:

  1. It is also possible to eat a strawberry and bite it and simply toss the top away and skip that difficult cutting step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! You're a deep thinker!

      Let's remember that Hick is the one who left a banana peel stuffed down in the cushions of the La-Z-Boy. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be the biting part, but the TOSSING AWAY thing he would have trouble with.

      Delete
  2. No one here to cut my strawberry tops off for me.
    I've given up eating strawberries altogether. I love them, but I'm sick to death of digging those tiny pips out from between my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have really big gaps between my teeth, because I don't have that problem.

      Delete
  3. The answer to your last question is probably NEVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My guy, old iron gut, doesn't care if it's rotten or not. He'll scarf it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Hick doesn't care about rottenness. Only about how much effort it takes to get the food. Like if he has to open a package of bologna and then put it in a baggie or a plastic container...he won't have a sandwich, even though he's asked for bologna.

      Delete