Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Garage Raisin'

Hick's storage container garage is still under construction. He finally got the trusses delivered. Being Hick, he chose a local merchant for his truss needs. The price was cheaper than using the big chain, and Hick likes to patronize mom and pop businesses. Of course, being Hick, he had great expectations. To Hick, two-to-three weeks for delivery meant that two days later, he was wondering if his trusses were done. One week later, he went to see about his trusses, because to HIM, it had been two weeks. He ordered them on a Tuesday, and the following Tuesday made two weeks. Those Tuesdays were in two separate weeks, you know!

Anyhoo...Hick finally got his trusses, I'm pretty sure in the third week after he ordered them. He went with a different pitch than he'd originally planned, because he needed a bit more room above, and it was way cheaper to buy the lumber and built a little wall to extend the height, rather than have trusses made to an odd specification.


Hick is pretty good at framing walls. Of course, he can always use some help for the high stuff.


I commend The Veteran for trusting Hick's tractor-operating skills enough to stand in the bucket.


The trusses were then ready to be installed.


A work in progress. The Veteran spent the day putting up trusses, and then Saturday was HOS's turn. I noticed the progress on my way to town.


As you see below, even my zoom isn't very zoomy. But I WAS way out on the road.


Hick still takes pictures the way he took them of The Pony on his college tour. Far away, with the subject small and centered. I'm pretty sure he was in the field on the Gator for the pic below.


The roof will be metal. Probably white. It will come out to hang over the edge of the storage containers. Estimated time of completion of the storage container garage is the end of the year. Eventually, Hick plans to cover the sides of the containers with metal. Like a pole barn would look, if you know what a pole barn is.

I'm sure Hick will provide more updates as he wants to brag sees fit.


14 comments:

  1. I like it! He does good work. I have some new residents about to live thru the first winter. They framed out the bottom of their trailers and skirted them with regular trailer skirting, then painted it to match the travel trailer. Three of them did this together, each helping the other. They all look really good. Hick would fit right in here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit that Hick is good at thinking up his building projects, and seeing them to near-fruition. He is not a trained carpenter, but he does amazingly well. Plumbing is his downfall.

      Hick would be like a kid in a candy store with HeWho's building full of...spare parts.

      Delete
  2. I built a 4x5 brick patio for my BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pics or it didn't happen! There's something to blog about. Paving bricks or regular bricks? What kind of BBQ, gas or charcoal? I'm guessing gas, since you're a sophisticated city fellow. Show us a picture of you grillin' and chillin'. Or just of the food on the barbie.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I can tell this will be the highlight of the mansion tour...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That man of yours is better than Bob the Builder. Can I bring Liam out to see the construction crew? Maybe one day he will build you a writer's shack/ get away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, you can bring Liam, but the crew is just Hick and one or the other of his sons if he can rope them into it. Not holding my breath on my writer's shack. Especially now that Hick has his Storage Shed Store that demands his attention on Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

      Delete
  5. This is working out nicely, you do have to admit that from Tuesday to Tuesday is two weeks, makes sense to me since two weeks are involved, Hick may be onto something as far as shipping times go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if you were guaranteed to have it in ONE WEEK, you'd get it the same day you ordered it!

      Delete
  6. I'm impressed with Hick's ability to realize his dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's pretty good at that. If he dreams it, he will build it.

      Delete
  7. It's looking good, I'm very impressed.

    ReplyDelete