Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Caution. Mature Readership Advised. Hope You're Not Eating. You Have Been Warned.

Three dead mice. Three dead mice.
See how they lay. See how they lay.
They all surprised Thevictorian Val.
Who only saw one, our nearsighted old gal.
But was tipped off forthwith by The Pony, her pal.
To THREE dead mice.

I stepped out on the porch tonight to call The Pony and Hick away from Hick's Folly The Sword Shack in progress. I almost stepped on a dead mouse. "Well. Ain't THAT a kick in the head?. Almost. For that little mousie. I guess the cats have left me another gift."

My sweet, sweet Juno, such a lady, would never disturb a present left for her human mom. No sirree, Bob! Despite Hick's aspersions cast her way, Juno is a good egg. Though according to Hick, she has eaten many a good egg. Daily. So this tiny deceased rodent was smack dab in front of my front door. It's not quite a horse's head in the bed, but it is a bit disconcerting. Let the record show that this is not the first dead mouse I have found at the door.

I proceeded down to the end of the porch and started tossing old bread to the chickens. I hope they like Nutty Oat. We have eleven chicks that are perhaps 1/4 grown up. They are quite cute, a variety of colors, some brave and some sticking close to their hatcher. Of course the dogs ran over from Hick's Folly The Sword Shack for their share. Let the record show that they were not full from eating purloined eggs, and they did not even stop to sniff at the rodent appetizer. Perhaps they are going vegan.

Hick and The Pony took off their hardhats and tool belts, loosened their steel-toed boots, and made their way to the house. Not really. Hick only had his hard head, and he couldn't take that off. The Pony was in Adidas slides, no steel toes for him. One of these days OSHA is going to shut down Hick's Construction Company Inc. The Pony trotted over ahead of Hick and his Gator.

"Oh, yeah. The mice."

"It's a mouse."

"No....MICE."

"Wait! I see the other one under the window!"

"Actually, there are three. There's one down by Genius's room."

"OH! Get me some pictures!"

These are the mice. I'll keep the photos small this time. No need to show a lack of respect for death. Because I could not photograph death, The Pony kindly photographed it for me.

This is the one directly in front of the door. Looks like he had the poop scared out of him, but that was just a gift from one of the chickens that Juno couldn't chase off the porch fast enough.

A bonus mouse was in front of Genius's bedroom window. The flies have befriended this one, and are treating his body like an amusement park a giant buffet.

This one, chilling under the living room window, is quite possibly a baby mole. I didn't turn him over to see his snout, but in an enlargement of this picture, his feet look especially mole-like.

Yes, I could have done without this rodent trifecta today. Thank goodness my men cleared the porch of them...

Who are we kidding? Those mice are still out there on the porch. It would NEVER occur to Hick or The Pony to move them. They just step over them. Or take pictures if I command. Kick them off the porch? Get the broom? Scoop them up with a blue plastic snow shovel that was last used to whack the aggressive banty rooster flying through the air with his talons aimed at Hick's stomach? Nope. They just step over such obstacles until told (more than once) to get rid of them.

Excuse me. I've got some orders to give.

These are the mice
who scared our Val
who called to The Pony
who loves the swords
that will hang in the Folly that Hick built.

12 comments:

  1. I'm sure they'll get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somebody did. All three are gone now. I am reluctant to give credit to Hick, in case another critter did his job for him.

      Delete
  2. Being a mouse would be a bummer, but at least Hick could eliminate the corpses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He might have. I'll have to interrogate him. He might take false credit, so I'll start out with, "What did you do with my mice? I was not ready for them to be moved!" That way, if he defends himself, I can actually believe he was the good-deeder.

      Delete
  3. I didn't post a photo of the mouse who got caught stealing peanut butter out of the trap in our camp trailer. Now I wish I had. It was just as gross. But, you still would have topped me with your trifecta of wascally wodents and your awesome poetry. There's just no competing with Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, their tongues were not hanging out, and there was no blood, so I figured these are about the most tasteful pictures of dead mice you can come by. As for my "poetry," I just plagiarize nursery rhymes as the mood strikes me.

      Delete
  4. Mousey, mousey,
    oh so dead.
    Better stay out
    of Ol' Hick's shed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good advice. Hick is not a lover of mice, alive OR dead. He had a bad experience years ago with some baby mice. You know how menacing baby mice can be...

      Delete
  5. One, was that a bit of Emily Dickinson?

    Secondly, could it be a vole?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um. No. It can't be sung to the tune of Gilligan's Island or Amazing Grace. So it's not Emily Dickinson.

      Again. No. It clearly has the morphology of a baby Eastern Mole. Its feet are not yet horrific weapons, nor its snout of nightmarish proportions, because its a BABY.

      I thought about a vole, but its too fat. Not streamlined. I have pried apart many an owl pellet and found vole bones. An owl would have to be immense to feed on this little fatty. Kathy seconds my motion.

      Delete
  6. That last one is a mole for sure. My little Emmy used to enter mole holes and back out with the treasure in her mouth. She would then present her catch to her big buddy, the Saint Bernard. Louise never quite figured out what to do with the live animal, but she always accepted the gift with as much grace as a big lumbering dog could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emmy knew what she was built for! And Louise knew what she wasn't!

      Delete