Saturday, February 14, 2015

Just When Val Thought It Was Safe to Go Back In the Laundry Room...

I might have mentioned how Hick does his own laundry. It's not because he's doing Val a favor, being all noble and crap, lessening her workload. Nope. It's because he's a hard-head. Because during our first year of marriage, I laid down the Val Law. Told him I was not his maid, and I would not pick up his inside-out pants and his tighty-whities from the bedroom floor. If he wanted laundry done, he would put it in the hamper like a normal human being.

Well, being Hick, he was not about to kowtow to Val's commands. Rather than pick up his own dirty clothes off the bedroom floor and carry them one room away to drop them in the clothes hamper, Hick decided that he would do his own laundry. That would show Val who was boss! Uh huh. It did. For 25 years now, Hick had done his own laundry. In a curious manner.

First Hick adjusts the washer setting on the load size (super to large, even though he crams a month's worth of pants and shirts into one washing), the temperature (hot/cold to warm/cold), and the dryer setting from polyester/knit to cotton/high heat. Then he changes the dryer timer from silent to LOUD. Who knew we were such opposites? Fetch that meat platter forthwith for the Backroads Jack Sprat and wife!

Hick has a penchant for leaving dryer sheets in the dryer. Even though they are used up, he leaves them for me. Such a thoughtful guy. Leaves them in plain sight, right in the middle of the drum, just like he had put it there on purpose. Always at the front and center. Not like he might have simply forgotten it. What are the odds that Hick removes a month's worth of pants and shirts, or a month's worth of underwear and socks, and that Bounce stays right in the same place? Uh huh. Told you so.

This afternoon, I went in to do some laundry. And this is what I found:


Yeah. Do YOU know what that is at first glance? I was expecting a Bounce. Or a Walmart equivalent. But this thing was foreign. I sent The Pony to take a picture for me. He returned holding the unidentified drying object. Yep. It's a UDO.

"What are you doing with that? I told you to take a picture! Now you have disturbed the evidence!"

"No I didn't. I took the picture first. Then I picked this up. I thought you would send me back to throw it away. Look. It's a Taco Bell receipt!"

"Huh. We brought home Taco Bell last night. How did he get the receipt?"

"I guess he got it out of the bag."

"That doesn't make sense. How would it end up in the dryer? Wait a minute! When I got the receipt, I handed it back to you in T-Hoe! I took my change and put the dimes in the coin cup, and the bills in the side of my purse, and gave you the receipt."

"I remember! And I put it in the trash bag!"

"Uh huh. That was a different Taco Bell receipt. Your father has been going to Taco Bell without us!"

Which would explain the smell in the bedroom when I go to bed at 1:00 a.m.

Oh, and here's an interesting tidbit. I sent Hick a text that I would make him lunch when I got back from town today. He replied: "OK o lobe you."

So I sent back: "O lobe you too."

That's my Hick. Happy Valentine's Day.

12 comments:

  1. Lobe is a many splintered thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure--fifty years from now--people will be dancing a romance-filled song, and the title of that song will be, "O lobe you."

    He is such a romantic. Making sure the bedroom is aromatic. Ensuring there are little "surprises" around to keep you on your toes. You'd better watch out. Someone might try to snap him up and take him away from you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. He Who would never leave a receipt in his pocket!! His receipts are dumped along with change and pocket lint on the side table next to his recliner. I confess that I clean this up, like a good wife. I keep all the money. I do al the laundry. His attempts would only annoy me. He would ask what the settings should be and where the detergent was (like I keep it locked up in a safe). It would continue with the drying cycle, too. He would want to know how much detergent to use, then double whatever I said and ten he would use several dryer sheets, figuring that if one was good, three must be wonderful. See what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. o lobe your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was sure that UDO was a frog. Doesn't it look like a frog? I never would've guessed it was a wadded up Taco Bell receipt. Go figure. You gotta lobe it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kudos go to Hick for doing laundry! Most guys pretend washing clothes is too complicated so they can sluff out of a job. Kinda like I swear lawn mowers and snow throwers are way beyond my understanding. Smart to pretend he hadn't already eaten. Not smart to leave that receipt in his pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's so smart that he heaped 25 years (so far) of laundry upon his own shoulders due to his truculent behavior. I'll order him a MENSA application, because I don't think he could do that on his own. Just one more service I can provide, what with not being tied down by his laundry.

      Delete
  7. joeh,
    You ain't a-woofin'! Did people used to say that in Jersey? Because that was my grandpa's favorite saying: you ain't a-woofin'!

    ******
    Sioux,
    Unfortunately, it will be too late for me to get my hands on Hick's writing credit residuals.

    Do you know something? Is someone really going to snap him up like a dog left out on a chain in the dead of night?

    *****
    Kathy,
    I see EXACTLY what you mean. That's what happened when Genius did his own laundry just before leaving for college, and The Pony tried to do it in preparation for his 3-week summer academy with HIS PEOPLE.

    ******
    fishducky,
    What a lobely thong to say! O apprecoate ot.

    ******
    Stephen,
    Yes. Hock and O are just a regular paor of lobebords.

    ******
    Lynn,
    It DOES look like a frog! In this picture, I thought it looked like a wad of aluminum foil. But in real life, it just looked like a dirty wadded-up Bounce. I never would have guessed a Taco Bell receipt, either. Hick has been making a run for the border without me!

    O gotta hope Hock os not looking for lobe on all the wrong places...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That picture scared me a little bit. I thought it was a beak of some sort or possibly an amphibian part. I'm so glad to hear it was just evidence of your husband's Taco Bell liaison. His infidtacobellity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard "A-woofin" in Jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tammy,
    It does have the appearance of a duck's bill, or maybe the head of a giant constrictor, or a frog's torso from the back. I suppose I could print it and use it like one of those ink-blot tests.

    ******
    joeh,
    But do you put ketchup on your biscuits and gravy, and say, "That'll put hair on your chest!" Because if you do...there's a chance you're my grandpa.

    ReplyDelete