Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Helpers Gonna Help

Hick does not have his SUS2.5, the storage unit he's converting next to his current Storage Unit Store 2, completely finished. He will have a little refrigerator AND a microwave in there. Currently, he just has a mini fridge, with no way to heat up lunch. He asked me to pick up a sandwich for him during my Thursday shopping trip.

Of course Hick could make his own sandwiches to take. But you know, that would require some effort. Hick could ask ME to make his sandwiches. But the repercussions from that would be even worse than slapping some meat between two slices of bread. Especially after a recent issue with straightening out his expenses from the flip house expenses.

Anyhoo... Hick rarely asks for anything from the store. I got him two containers of sandwiches from the Country Mart deli section. I had given one to Hick a couple weeks ago, for his supper, since he said he wasn't really very hungry, having filled up at the Senior Center lunch. This was a clear plastic container, with a sandwich of ham, bacon, cheese, lettuce, and tomato on white bread. Not a lot of meat. Just a regular sandwich, cut into four triangles, sitting on their crust with their pointy triangle ends sticking up. 

When Hick was getting ready to leave on Saturday morning at 6:00, he packed his sandwich in a plastic bag with a mini bag of plain potato chips I'd laid out for him.

"It'll be good to have lunch for two days."

"What? That's for one day. There's another container in there for tomorrow."

"Huh. I think there's more in here than the last one you got me."

"You know, I DID think it looked like more. You never know what you'll get from that store! Sometimes, the big salad comes without the boiled egg in it."

"I don't know if I can eat all this. It looks like two sandwiches."

"You've eaten two sandwiches most of your life! But if you can't, just give some to one of your buddies. Because there's another container here for tomorrow, and the date will go bad if you don't eat it."

Hick returned home that evening, saying he had given some sandwich to his paid helper, Old Buddy, who also has a storage unit store.

"I give Old Buddy a piece of my sandwich, and I ate the rest. He walked off with it while I was talking to some customers. I asked him later how he liked it, and he said he didn't eat it! He said, 'Well, there was this girl, and she was hungry...' That's how he never has nothin'! He gives everything away!"

Well. Old Buddy IS a helper...

6 comments:

  1. Was the sandwich larger than usual?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked like there were two extra pieces in the package, though I didn't count them the first time, or this time. It just looked like more. So maybe eight pieces instead of six. Two whole sandwiches instead of 1.5.

      Delete
  2. In a world where you can be anything, be a Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely worse things you could be!

      Delete
  3. At least a hungry girl got some food that day. I wonder at having both ham and bacon on the one sandwich, since they are both pork it seems a little redundant to me. Still, a sandwich is a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody's gonna buy a deli sandwich of one slice of ham and one slice of cheese between two slices of white bread. I suppose it's a selling point. I doubt that girl would have turned it down, though, without the bacon.

      Delete