Friday, October 25, 2024

The Disinformation of the Dumplings

The Senior Center served chicken and dumplings on Tuesday. Hick told a dining companion that his wife's was much better. The woman said hers never turn out right, and asked for the recipe. Here it is, just for comparison.
___________________________________________

Six Can Chicken and Dumplings

2 cans chicken broth
2 cans cream of chicken soup 
2 cans white meat chicken
8 flour tortillas, 10-inch
2 tbsp butter 
1 tbsp minced garlic
black pepper 

cut tortillas into 2-inch squares
add butter, garlic, pepper to broth and soup, bring to a boil
stir in tortilla squares, boil 5 minutes, stirring frequently
remove from heat, stir in chicken
___________________________________________

Very simple. So simple that Hick thought he could give my recipe to a random woman who occasionally eats at the Senior Center. Even though he's never seen me make it, nor read the recipe. He has, perhaps, unloaded the ingredients from a grocery bag.

Here are Hick's instructions to Random Gal:

"I think I know what she does. She boils the chicken broth and cuts the tortillas in about 1-inch-long sheets."

"Sheets?"

"No. I said STRIPS. One-inch-long STRIPS."

"NO! You don't eat 10-inch-long dumplings! I cut them in 2-inch squares. Did you tell her about the cream of chicken soup?"

"No. I didn't tell her that."

"Did you tell her I add minced garlic and black pepper and butter before boiling the broth and soup?"

"No."

"And that when it boils you add the tortillas, and keep stirring them for 5 minutes? No more, no less. THEN take it off the burner and add the chicken."

"No..."

"Did you even say what kind of chicken?"

"I said you use the canned chicken, and chicken breast."

"Yeah. That makes it better. More chicken."

"The chicken and dumplings we had were the kind that hurts your eyes, looking for the chicken. It was stringy shredded chicken."

"Does she live upstairs?"

"No. She comes in every now and then. She said she hardly ever cooks, but this sounded so simple that she thought she'd try it."

"She's going to have a runny mess of the worst thing she every ate, if she makes it the way you told her! I'll be a laughingstock! You have her putting 10-inch-long tortilla strips in chicken broth! I'd write down the actual recipe for her if you'd give it to her."

Seriously. Would YOU try to cook a recipe that Hick gave you out of his head?

12 comments:

  1. Only if it required 1 ingredient. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I would not make it the way he said. Hopefully, he will give her the recipe before she ruins her food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said she doesn't cook much, but surely she would know that such a recipe does not seem right...

      I gave Hick the recipe on a note card, and last I saw, it was in his pocket. I told him to leave it in SilverRedO until he goes to the Senior Center again for lunch. He said he was going today. He's probably already lost the recipe.

      Delete
  3. That is funny! No, I would absolutely not try a Hick recipe! HeWho would try to give out my kitchen secrets, too. I never worry, knowing he would not get any of it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want people to think that's how I cook!

      Delete
  4. No, I wouldn't try a recipe from Hick either. Ha! Hopefully the lady doesn't try making it based on his instructions. I need a recipe written down before I try making it because I know I won't remember it if someone just tells me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really hope she doesn't try making it that way! Hick cannot be trusted in a kitchen, nor explaining what happens in a kitchen.

      Delete
  5. Too funny! Hopefully she'll actually get the correct recipe next time. Since she doesn't cook, she might never try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she tried it, she might think Hick was pranking her. He hasn't been back to the Senior Center since that day. Didn't go today as he had planned.

      Delete
  6. Nope, Hick would not have made it in my business, as a reporter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He barely gets the WHAT part, and that is lacking specifics!

      Delete