Sunday, September 1, 2024

Hick Might Have a Problem Letting Go

The Double Hovel Flip House(s) project is going on two years now. That's the longest Hick has ever taken to flip a house. In fact, Pony House was done in six months, almost from the floor up. You may recall that it was completely gutted inside. HOS House had to be cleaned out and some rooms added, including a bathroom and kitchen, and was done within a year. Hick also had help from HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) on that one. The QuickFlip House was done in a couple months.

I'm not saying Hick is lazy, or that he doesn't know how to complete a flip. He also had back surgery during this time, so was not at full capacity for a while, and then had recovery. So I'm not faulting Hick for the time it's taken to get this project finished. As The Pony says, "It takes a long time for two old men, working three hours a day, four days a week."

What I AM accusing Hick of is maybe not wanting to let his project go... He might not even realize it. He's always liked having something in the works. For the past few months, he has apparently been readying ANOTHER storage unit behind my back! To expand his SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2). That might make it the SUS2.5! But I don't think this has any bearing on getting the Double Hovel on the market.

Anyhoo... here's the issue. Hick had said the Double Hovel should be ready by summer. Then he said he was going to have it listed by the end of July. Then it was the first week of August. Then the second. Then he dropped in instead of calling the realtor. Then he had to have an appointment the next week so she could tour the property. Then fix a couple minor things. Putting us here this week, when Hick said it was ready.

"We should finish up the painting on Monday. Then I can move all my tools out. It might even ready Wednesday. I'll go give her the keys, and she can get her 'professional photographer' to take the pictures."

Since I didn't get a call from Hick on Wednesday afternoon, I figured it didn't happen. Same thing on Thursday, when he said he was going to hand over the keys. So I asked again Friday morning.

"Are you going to see the realtor today?"

"Yeah. After lunch, I'm taking her the keys."

Again, no phone call or text from Hick. When he came home Friday evening, I asked.

"No. I went by her office to give her the keys, and there was a note on her door! Saying she would be back on Tuesday morning! So I guess I'll do it then..."

"Well, it IS Labor Day weekend. A lot of people take off early for the holiday."

"Val. She is 70 years old!"

Not sure how Hick knew this information. As if the elderlies don't also enjoy a long weekend from work. It just seems like every time he's sure he's handing over the keys, something comes up so it doesn't happen.

6 comments:

  1. I wonder if you might be on to something there, with Hick. Poor guy. But then he did have a lot going on during this renovation, along with his inexpensive helper, buddy being unavailable to work and all of the controversy about the siding. So, there is that. I get it though, as we have been working on the repair of our shed with the help of my brother. He has done lots of construction work, either for other contractors, or freelanced himself. We ended up in a battle with our homeowners' insurance and without repair, removal or replacement, were told they would not renew our coverage. (a whole story for another day)
    Well, my brother said it was worth repairing and he took on the job. My SIL and husband both helped with the demolition part of the process and my husband has spent every weekend, this summer, with the exception of 2 due to other events, working on some part of this shed. It doesn't have 1 straight wall in the whole building and my brother is detail orientated. Which is good, as the job is being done right, but it also takes him a lot longer to do things. He also is now 60 years old, my husband a few years younger than that and I'm older than all of them, including my SIL who is slightly older than my husband, but the work is getting done. Completion expected this weekend, after working all 3 days of the Labor Day weekend. I do believe my brother will miss the relationship and friendship he and my husband have developed. Not that they didn't already get along and could visit like the best of them, but there were a lot of stories shared, along with the work.
    My husband knows zero about construction but has learned a lot and my brother has deemed him as one of the best helpers he's ever had, despite limited knowledge. (He has also suffered the aches and pains of the next day when he has had to get up at 4 am to get ready for work.)
    I do think, to some degree, that there was a lot of time spent storytelling that could have been working. It almost felt and feels like my brother is disappointed that he will soon have his weekends to himself, again. Maybe it isn't my husband - maybe he doesn't want to say goodbye to the shed. What the insurance inspector requested was repair the roof of the shed. That was a classic lip stick on a pig, once they started really getting into the project. This shed could easily be equipped with plumbing etc. and it would be at least the equivalent of a tiny home. There is electrical power, and my husband is going to insulate it also. It is Minnesota, after all, so you know - winter. But, not planning on any sheetrock at this point. What I'm trying to say is this shed looks really good. It is now straighter (it was very skewed, because it was constructed on cement blocks and still is, but all of the replacement wood near the ground is treated and the floors will be painted with marine deck stain/paint, so according to my brother should last easily, another 30 years. Well, without counting years, shouldn't be a problem we have to deal with again.)
    I'll tell him to feel free to visit the shed anytime. He can swing by, on his way home from work. If nothing else, to admire his work and to remind himself where the summer of 2024 was spent. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. My issue is not so much about the time it took to finish, but the time it is taking to LET THE REALTOR LIST IT now that it's done!

      It's amazing how much work goes into fixing a structure that wasn't done right. It would be easier to build something new!

      Maybe your husband can turn that shed into a man-cave, and your brother can come by, and they can sit in it and plan a new venture. Or just sit around shooting the bull.

      Delete
  2. Something definitely smells fishy. I hope the keys get handed over and the place sold quickly. He'll HAVE to let go then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It's like all this time working on that project, and now that it's done, something always comes up to stop the act that will get it sold!

      Delete
  3. LOL..."two old men working three hours a day, four days a week.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's their schedule! Hick can't miss his Senior Center lunch! And he has to sit at his SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2) on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I'm not sure why they don't work afternoons. Or what Hick actually does in the afternoons.

      Delete