Saturday, November 28, 2020

Val's CENTSible Deduction: Even Steven Took a Holiday

NO PENNIES! Thanksgiving week gave Val NOTHING towards her Future Pennyillionaire Fortune! Surely somebody must have dropped some change somewhere, what with all the coming and going for groceries to make a holiday feast. I would imagine the crop was out there, waiting for harvest. But Even Steven did not put me in the right place at the right time.

Or perhaps Even Steven was preoccupied. Like Hick at Thevictorian family Thanksgiving table. I complain (so uncharacteristic of me, I know!) to Hick about ignoring me almost every night. The minute I come upstairs to make supper, and sit down on the short couch to converse with him... he picks up his phone. Not even the reruns of Little House on the Prairie are enough stimulation for him to ignore me. 

Hick is a poster-worthy example for the chronic condition I call Inattentive Distractedness. 

We were feasting on our mass quantities of turkey breast and carbohydrate-loaded side dishes, conversing amiably about The Pony's beverage of spiced rum and warm Coke with lime, when Hick's eyes bulged. He pointed and shouted, 

"LOOK! LOOK!"

I swear. Hick could write dialogue for those Dick and Jane reading books.

"I can't turn my head around like an owl!"

The Pony could! Must have been the spiced rum. The Pony also had his phone handy.


He took a picture of what caused Hick's excitement. It was literally a case of SQUIRREL!

It's not like we live in a Japanese capsule hotel! We live in the country. In the WOODS! There are hundreds of squirrels swarming our property. We are virtually a feeding station for them, what with the dogs' automatic feeder of dry dog food on the back porch. It's not like Hick was in a spiced-rum altered state where a darting squirrel might trigger him. He was drinking water. Not even under the influence of an opioid painkiller from his surgery. 

I can't explain Hick's fascination with a critter that he sees more than 10 times a day, any more than I can explain why Even Steven forsook me for the week.

ZERO coins found this week, for ZERO cents added to my Future Pennyillionaire Fortune.
__________________________________________________________________
 
2020 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny       still at 123.
Dime         still at  24.
Nickel       still at 10.
Quarter    still at 1.

2019 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        20
Nickel        8
Quarter      5
_________________________________________________________________

6 comments:

  1. I'd dare to say Hick wasn't so much fascinated by the squirrel as he was by the chance to distract you and avoid conversation. Love the photo, thanks Pony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you might be onto something about my conversation! The Pony did a good job taking that picture with his phone, through the storm window and the screen. That squirrel is sitting by the gate to the steps that lead down to POOLIO.

      Delete
  2. I lived in the city and there were hundreds of squirrels around all the time. I like the view of your woods. Hopefully, pennies wiill show themselves for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm shocked that the dogs don't help control our squirrel population. They go through the motions, barking and chasing, but catch more rabbits and baby moles than they do squirrels.

      Another week is coming up. I'm hopeful that it will be loaded with pennies!

      Delete
  3. I know where Even Steven took his holiday! Here in Australia. I found a ten cent piece out the back of the flats by the garages :) Thank you Even Steven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How DARE Even Steven take a holiday! I begrudge him time off, but if he's helping YOU, I will look the other way.

      Delete