Sunday, November 29, 2020

The Journey of a Thousand Lights Begins With a Single Bulb

Hick was working in his Freight Container Garage the other day, when it was raining, and not good weather for hanging around up at the storage units. Funny I should mention storage units. Because that's what Hick was going through in his garage. Items left over from three years ago when he bought the original 18 storage units that started his Storage Unit Store. It reminds me of a coffee table book about coffee tables.

Anyhoo... Hick found a bunch of Christmas stuff. Some of it being lights. For a long time, he has been meaning to switch out our string of Christmas lights that stay up all year, clipped to the soffits. It's not like anyone can see them from the road. And it's not like anyone around here would see anything wrong with it if they could. It's what our people do.

As I mentioned on my super-secret blog last week, Hick took my sous chef, The Pony, away from me during the hour before Thanksgiving dinner was to be served. To help him put in new bulbs. Oh, Hick didn't bother to call The Pony out to carry the metal ladder that he'd loaded and unloaded from SilverRedO on his 8th day post-op from gallbladder surgery. Only to stand on the porch and hand him bulbs, while Hick himself climbed up and down the ladder, reached to and fro, and carried that ladder along, setting it at 5-foot intervals.

Anyhoo... Hick got the bulbs replaced. The few that didn't light up. And the many that were faded out, with flaking paint, to look all white when turned on. The replacement bulbs are more colorful. There's no rhyme nor reason to Hick's color scheme. They blink on and off, almost in a cascade pattern. I managed to capture a shot while they were ON.
 

I'm pretty sure Juno is admiring Hick's handiwork. Not just sitting there, wishing I'd quit pointing my phone, and get her something to eat.

4 comments:

  1. I love Christmas Lights, but don't put any up myself, around here they'd get stolen unless I put them up on soffits like you, but I'm not sure the second floor has soffits and can't get up there to check. Anyway, my point is, if I had a house, I would put up lights and leave them all year long, but not have them blinking. The blinking can cause headaches and epileptic fits, if the watchers are prone to those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind them being up all year long. Sometimes, I even turn them on for a few minutes on a hot summer night. The switch is in the garage. The numerous Santas and Frosty the Snowmen have a plug-in on the porch, I think. I don't mess with them.

      I already told Hick, on Night Two of the Great Illumination: "I'm not real crazy about the blinking. If I was up here instead of in the basement, it would drive me crazy." The shades block them at the living room window, but I still see them through the narrow windows beside the door.

      Delete
  2. I certainly hope he does not overdo it! Those lights look festive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I keep telling him. Six weeks is his official recovery time. The lights might put me in the Christmas spirit. I haven't done any preparations yet for the next holiday.

      Delete