Wednesday, April 24, 2024

This Chip Takes a Bite Out of Val

I found a new kind of potato chip on Monday at Country Mart. They were 2-for-$5. I picked the new ones for myself, and got Hick the "Baby Back Ribs" flavor of BBQ chips. He hasn't tried his version yet. I have tried mine, and and have a love/hate opinion of them.


Let the record show that I like horseradish. I used to have a little jar in FRIG II to mix with ketchup and make my own cocktail sauce for shrimp. I liked putting it on the Philly Cheese Steak version of Hot Pockets, until they got recalled in 2014. And I liked extra "Horsey Sauce" when we used to get Arby's roast beef sandwiches. So I figured this was just the flavor of chips for me!

We don't get Herr's potato chips all the time here. I think they are mainly an east coast brand. But they'll appear in a special buy, at Save-A-Lot, or Country Mart, in a front-aisle display every now and then. I especially love the Sweet Corn version, which tastes like corn-on-the-cob.

Anyhoo... I tried the Horseradish and Cheddar chips a couple days ago. Whew! They are definitely heavy on the horseradish flavor! They burn your mouth in the beginning, and send a wave of spice up your nose. But then the flavor levels off to the cheddar. So you try another. With the same result. This is one chip that you do not wish to have a thick layer of flavor coating!

When these are gone, I will buy them again. As long as I have a Shasta Diet Cola ready to put out the fire.

10 comments:

  1. My husband if notorious for bringing home "new" items, no matter how bizarre. (His mom used to do the same thing) It is often chips, and occasionally, some new flavor of cookie or Kit Kat. Many times, the chips provide the same experience that you had, where one flavor is tingling the tongue, and the other flavor gradually finds its place in the process. I also enjoy horseradish in about the exact same ways as you do. I wonder if my husband will find a future chip with it as one of the main ingredients. I have to say they sound interesting. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a commercial for a KitKat that is chocolate frosted donut flavor! I'd give it a try if I saw one. I liked the dark chocolate mint flavor, but haven't seen them in a while. I don't shop on the candy aisle, so they may be there. Also, there's a birthday cake version with white chocolate. I'm always up for trying any kind of birthday cake flavored item.

      When Lays had a contest for submitting new chip flavors, and came out with four new ones every so often, The Pony and I would try them. Biscuits and Gravy was not a hit. Poor Pony had such high hopes.

      Delete
  2. You might put on Johnny Cash's song "Ring of Fire" to take your mind off the horseradish flavor. And maybe a dish of pickled jalapeƱos as a side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The horseradish fire fades quickly. I can't stand jalapenos in any form. That would take my mind off the horseradish for sure, hating on the jalapenos.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you like them. Horseradish doesn't agree with me, there's usually vomiting involved the minute it hits my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like more than a little "disagreement!" It's an attack!

      Delete
  4. When I have an Arby's beef and cheese (no red sauce) I use about four packs of the horsey sauce. I put horseradish on the edge, eat, and repeat. When my children were 3 and 5, they loved horse sauce when we went to a place in Owensboro, Ky called Sir Beef. My ex could not stand being in the car with our fire breath.

    When I have a sinus problem, I suck on a horsey sauce package since horseradish clears my sinuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try salsa and Frank's RedHot Original Sauce when I have cold congestion. But I think horseradish sauce might work better, because it goes straight to the sinuses. Making a note for future congestion!

      Delete
  5. I am not a big fan of all those new flavors. I like plain Lays chips. I don't put ketchup on my fries or A-1 on a steak. I like very little salad dressing. Call me Plain Jane!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang! You ARE a Plain Jane! I pledge to eat your share of flavored chips.

      Delete