Saturday, April 27, 2024

High Demand, or Avoided Like the Plague

I mentioned a while back that Hick received notice that he's been chosen for a jury duty term. I can't remember if it's for 3 months or 6 months. Anyhoo... The Pony and I were discussing a scenario when Hick gets called. Which he did, a couple weeks ago.

"I remember that they ask if you've been involved in a court case. I can't remember how they word it, but you have to raise your hand if you have, and then they ask you questions about it. Like if you were a victim, or if somebody sued you. The one time I got picked, I answered that I was familiar with Imminent Domain, because the state took my mom and dad's land to put a highway behind their house. And I got PICKED! For an Imminent Domain case. I was hoping that would disqualify me, but apparently the plaintiff's lawyer wanted me more than the state didn't want me!"

"Just think about what Dad has to say!"

"I know! Imagine how he'll answer the questions:

What was the nature of your case?

I ran over a lady in the city fire truck.

Was it an emergency call?

No. It wasn't the fire engine. Just the rescue truck. She was walking across the street, and I hit her.

Was she hurt?

Her arm was broke. But I got out of the truck and held her hand while she was lying under the truck, in the street, waiting for the ambulance to come.

Were you at fault?

The court said I 'willfully struck her with the fire truck.' But I didn't do it on purpose.

What was the result of your trial?

Lloyds of London paid her a settlement. It wasn't as much as she asked for, and my personal insurance paid the rest.

Yeah. You would expect that might disqualify Hick from being selected. IF he actually answered the questions correctly. Not sure how they worded their queries this time. But Hick said that incident did not come up. 

HICK WAS SELECTED FOR THE JURY! On what seems like a personal injury trial.

That story will be coming up...

2 comments:

  1. Hick was selected? I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the deliberation room when they are deciding guilty or not. With the way his mind runs trying to tell you a simple happening, they could be stuck in there for weeks trying to understand what he means. Unless he is suddenly sharp as a tack and concise too. Not saying he isn't normally sharp as a tack, but he does give you the runaround when answering your questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing they picked a good jury foreman, who was NOT Hick. He would have bragged about it if it was him! So the foreman kept things moving along, I assume, and didn't let Hick sidetrack them. Hick was home by 8:00, and the case completed.

      Delete