Monday, September 4, 2023

The Last Thing a Mailman Wants to Hear at the End of a Hot August Day

The Pony was near to clocking out on Thursday afternoon when he received some perplexing news, per the text he sent me at 4:05 p.m.

"Joy. Per my mail carrier, water main break or something right next to my house. Gonna pretend it doesn't exist for a minute and go get Chinese. He said it was, ironically, on [word associated with water] Street. He said they had it dug up two hours ago, so shouldn't be too much longer."

"They usually do a boil order for 24 hours after a water main break. Now you'll be having Chinese, and also be really dehydrated. Hope you don't get a headache. Check the city website for a notice."

"I signed up to get alerts."

A half hour later, I got pictures from The Pony's front yard.


"My water connection is off for now, unless I want to try running a filthy bath later."

"You are welcome to come out here and shower or bathe."

"No. No thank you."


"I guess you have three flushes. One in each bathroom! Unless you drive up to Casey's like Dad used to. You can buy jugs of drinking water."

"If I need water while it's still work hours, I can always take my water jugs to work."

At 8:00, the problem continued...

"Pump is still running."

"At least they didn't clock out at 5:00!"

"Yeah. They've still got people actively in the hole. I feel sorry for the poor guys standing in that pit as water sprays around them. The pipe is clearly spraying water both through the pumps and out the pit. It's BROKEN broken. I just tried my water. It runs. Just a big drop in pressure. Seems clean enough. So it's probably down the pipe from me."

At 9:00, The Pony provided an update...

"They upgraded 20 minutes ago to a firehose running across the side of my yard. Rather than just spewing from the pump. It runs across my yard and dumps out at the curb. Sleep is going to be difficult."


"Considering that's out my bedroom window. And I can even hear the water splatter. Don't wanna risk doing laundry and messing up my washer."

Anyhoo... The Pony barely got any sleep. Then he went to work with a headache. Saw the Subway Blimp on his route. Had an adventure the next morning. Then came home Saturday evening and sent me pictures of the aftermath of the water main break. Which had been fixed. 


That's on the side street next to The Pony's house. Pay attention to that little house in the background! It plays a part in The Pony's adventure on Saturday morning. Story coming up.


That's the curb by The Pony's driveway. I guess he's been parking in front of his house! Don't think I'll be driving over there until this issue has been FIXED fixed.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Good thing it wasn't running into the yard or under The Pony's house!

      Delete
  2. That water line break was a big one, I hope The Pony has clean water at his house by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony said the water was fixed the next day. He never got a boil water order. The street is still a mess. Maybe this week, after the holiday, when the workers aren't earning double-time.

      Delete
  3. That's a big mess. I think he should have spent the night at your house. I would still boil water for a day or two even without the order. AND buy bottled water for immediate drinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can lead tainted water into a Pony's house, but you cannot make him NOT drink it!

      Delete
  4. What a disruption and a mess. And, for it to cause him to lose sleep...ack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the places for a pipe to burst, it had to be RIGHT BESIDE The Pony's house!

      Delete