Saturday, January 18, 2020

Hick HapPENCE

Val's Future Pennyillionaire Fortune is chugging right along like the Little Engine That Could. Nothing spectacular, but increasing weekly in a workmanlike manner.

MONDAY, January 13, I spied a heads-up 1999 penny at my feet, while standing at the counter of Orb K. I took a picture. I know I did. Not a close-up, because there was a guy so close behind me that we might as well have been recruits in line for a physical and our vaccinations upon reporting for boot camp. I'm pretty sure that bending over and extending my ample rumpus posteriorly was not a good idea. Anyhoo...once I got home, that penny-picture had vanished! Yet I still had the penny itself.

Oh, well. Easy come, easy disappear off my hand-me-down phone. Good thing that I found a second penny as I went out the door of Orb K!


It's in the center of the photo. Kind of hard to see. I made sure to watch for people flinging open the glass door, as I bent down for the close-up and the nab.


It was a face-down 2013. And I avoided a noggin-knockin', because nobody came out while I was documenting its discovery.
______________________________________________________________________

THURSDAY, January 16, I dropped a load of laundry in the washer before I left for town. I absentmindedly tossed in a generic Bounce, and adjusted the dryer settings so it would be ready when I got back home. You know how your mind recognizes something different, but you shunt it aside? That's what I did, when my mind noticed a pinkish spot near the dryer's lint trap.

Once home, as I was standing at the washer, tossing wet clothes across the space occupied by a laundry sink I never wanted, and into the gaping maw of the dryer, my mind noticed it again. I silently (okay, maybe out loud) cursed Hick for his carelessness. Just like him to leave something behind, even if 30 years of nagging had finally spurred him to clean out the lint trap. I figured this was a scrap of a receipt that he had washed and dried in his pocket. Or maybe a scrap off a shop towel that had been left behind. Those rags don't last forever.


Oh, I'm sure all of YOU, with your perfect 20-20 vision and keen perceptual skills, would have immediately recognized that as a penny. I, myself, did not. Not until I bent over to make sure Hick had actually cleaned out the lint trap (he had not), and discovered this face-down 2015 PENNY!


Of course I'm claiming it! Do you really think Hick would plant a penny there and leave it for me ON PURPOSE? No. He would not. He is greedy about his own pennies. Puts them in a big plastic Coca Cola bank, next to the bathroom door. It's over half full! We'll need a crane to lift it out.

Anyhoo...that's 3 pennies for Val's collection this week!
__________________________________________________________________

2020 Running Total
Penny     # 5, 6, 7.
Dime       still at 1.
Nickle     0
Quarter  0

2019 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        20
Nickel        8
Quarter      5
__________________________________________________________________

6 comments:

  1. You are so lucky, scratchers and now this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm luckier than you think! Proof coming up tomorrow...

      Delete
  2. Your pennies will some day have one of value!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As my very literal son, The Pony, would say: "Technically, all the pennies have value now. One cent apiece."

      Delete
  3. At least that last penny is cleaned, so not at all germy, like the away from home found ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concur. It's the cleanest penny in my collection!

      Delete