Friday, April 26, 2019

Hick House Window Dilemma 04-24-19

While Hick was working solo at Hick House, he got carried away with window replacements. The master bedroom project has not yet begun, but Hick set about putting in a window. There's one that looks out on the front porch, but has been boarded up since we bought the $5000 house.

Here it is behind HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) in the original picture, with a KEEP OUT sign on it.


Hick took a new picture from the front porch, where a piece of plywood is leaning against the non-window area. At least most of the siding is gone now, although Hick and HOS continue to be slovenly worksite operators.


You can also see where that window belongs in the interior photo of the future master bedroom:

Hick thought he had a window to go there. In fact, he had two. But they were both too big! He needs a five-foot window here, and his were larger. So he came up with another plan. You might want to make sure you're sitting down.

Hick wants to CUT UP ONE OF THE WINDOW DOORS!


These doors! Hick mentioned the plan to me on the phone while I was in town. I kind of treated it like all of Hick's comments about Hick House, and "Uh-huh'-ed and put it in the back of my mind. By the time I got home, that thought was screaming to get out. I called Hick, frantic that he might have already done the deed. Hoping that I had misunderstood his motive.

"Hey! You didn't mean one of those pair of window doors you were going to use in the living room, did you?"

"Yeah. It won't open, but I'll cut one down and have a nice window there on the front of the house."

"NOOOO! You can't do that! Don't ruin those doors! You have a pair!"

"I don't have anything else to use them for."

"You MIGHT! If you're even thinking about flipping another house. DON'T cut up the door! Bring them home. You have plenty of room to keep them. Surely you can find another window somewhere."

"I looked. They were $250 or more."

"Even at the used house stuff Goodwill kind of store? What's the name of that place?"

"Uh... um... the Rehab Store. No, that's not it. It's something like that. I can look there."

"You can get on Buy/Sell/Trade, or call Tradio. Say you're looking for a window, and can't pay more than $50. I'm sure you'll find one. People call in there all the time, selling stuff for only $10. I'm sure someone has a window for $50. You can even say it doesn't matter if it opens."

"No. It has to open."

"You just said that if you made it out of the door, it wouldn't open."

"Yeah. But if it's a window, it will have to open!"

"I don't understand you, but I'm sure you can do better than ruin a nice door to make a non-opening window."

"There's not much money left to buy stuff. I can try looking."

"Those free doors are worth more than using one as a window. DON'T cut the door!"

I really hope Hick paid more attention to what I said than I did to what he said!
__________________________________________________________________

Later the next night...

"It's Habitat for Humanity!"

"What? That's people who build houses for free."

"It's a re-store. Habitat for Humanity."

"The Habitat for Humanity Re-Store?"

"Yeah. That's it."
__________________________________________________________________

15 comments:

  1. Hick needs to listen on this one.

    Tradio! I hear him all the time, Howard Stern and his goofs call in and scam him. He might be a little gullible, but it is funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must be a different Tradio. Ours is a very local radio show every morning, no celebs calling it. People try to sell or trade the most random stuff. I wouldn't go to the trouble of getting calls and trying to meet someone for only $10.

      The other day, someone had a set of Playboy magazines, from the 1970s to the 2000s. I'm sure there's a collector somewhere who'd want them, but not around here. They were willing to sell the set, or take $1 apiece. My 13-year-old self is giggling at the thought of people showing up to look through them to pick one out for a dollar.

      Delete
    2. Howard doesn't do the calling, he has a duo that make prank calls at stations all over the country...Tradio is one of their favorites to call.

      Delete
  2. nonononononono! Do not cut the door, they're a matched pair and worth more than you might think. I do hope Hick finds a window to fit soon, quickly enough that he forgets about using one of those precious doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick worked at the house yesterday. No mention of looking for a window. I'm afraid to ask what he was doing.

      Delete
    2. I'm actually more concerned about the black inside that ceiling damage, hoping desperately that it isn't black mould. Could it be soot from a ceiling fire?

      Delete
    3. Hick did mention something early on about the walls being discolored from smoke. I assumed he was talking about years of cigarette smoking, but there might have been a fire.

      Once that's all ripped down, I'll hear more about what it is. If it's mold, a bleachy scrubbing would be in order, if it's just on the surface. If deeper, I imagine Hick would cut out and replace that part of the wood.

      Delete
  3. Your man can rig anything to work. My dad was the same way. Ilaughed at loud about Hick losing an ear, not like Van Gogh or Mr. Potato Head. I think in the end, hick will make a window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He made a really nice window for my $17,000 house, out of a piece of curved plexiglass stuff. It was about an inch thick. He made a greenhouse kind of nook, with two shelves, in a walkway from the bedroom we added, to the living room.

      He'd better not cut that door!

      Delete
  4. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't need a fly on the wall of the $5000 house! Some of the windows (that open) don't have screens!

      Delete
  5. You're absolutely right on this one, Val. Those doors will be beautiful in this house or another some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be different, maybe, if there was only one door. But this is a set! Nah... I still wouldn't want him to cut up even a single door like this.

      Delete
  6. He could sell those doors and make enough to buy a window! Of course I would not sell them, but would want to use them. But don't let him cut one of them up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doors are something I WANT him to hoard! They may be the motivating factor if I let Hick buy another house to flip.

      Delete