Friday, April 12, 2019

Hick House Exterior: New Steps and Deck 04-11-19

Hick works pretty fast when he wants to. He tore down the rickety steps of Hick House, and replaced them, along with a new deck, in two days. Probably three days, officially, because the rails aren't on yet.

Here's the picture from yesterday showing the old steps, coming out of the back porch pantry area off the kitchen, behind that newest old interior door painted white and gray. In fact, let's start with the latest picture of that door, showing the doorknob and latch:


If you step through this door into the pantry area, and make a left, you'll come out the exterior door, onto these rickety old steps. The picture from yesterday: 


Hick got to Hick House before HOS that day, and tore off the old stairs:


Look out for that first step! HOS arrived and put up more siding, while Hick built a deck and started the new stairs:


I think maybe Hick bought these runner things that the steps fit on. Or maybe he bought the boards and cut them. But the other lumber was used stuff that HOS had laying around, that had been given to him FREE by one of his salvage buddies.


Hick pretty much finished the steps, except for the handrails:


Here's the deck:





I can't say I'm on board with that picket fence railing. I dislike it enough in our front yard by the carport. Also, I don't think it looks sturdy, but Hick says every slat of it will be screwed in, and it will be plenty sturdy, unless you jump at it with both feet and try to kick it down. I'm just reminding him that HOS has a 10-year-old son, and a less-than-a-year-old son, so it must be safe. Hick assures me that it will be. Of course all sides will have rails. I'm not sure about a gate.

As with Hick's door and light switch faux pas in the bathroom, he also discovered a problem after putting up the deck. He stepped out of the house onto the deck, and noticed an electric wire overhead. It's only 9.5 feet above the deck. Hick is pretty sure that the electric company requires it to be 10 feet above the deck. He's going to call them and have them come take a look and advise him. He thinks he can raise it enough without rewiring.

On Sunday, you'll see more updates on the bathroom.

8 comments:

  1. Safety first with the children. I kind of like the picket fence look. Especially since the pickets are close together. Gee, I wish HeWho would consult before he acts! He is putting sewer lines in to accommodate 6 more sites. So far he has hit the power and water lines with the excavator. Twice. Funny thing here is that HE installed those lines HIMSELF. Making me say to those complaining, "I am so sorry, my husband is an idiot."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I am having a chuckle at HeWho's misfortune. I'm not sure Hick having a consultation with him would be a good idea. I hate to think of either one of them having their brilliant ideas multiplied by two!

      Delete
  2. I like the stairs so I was hoping Hick would build a deck since that seems the most sensible option instead of opening the doors right onto the first step. It's a similar arrangement now to the small deck and long-way-down stairs I had when living in Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of like the picket fence. hick and Hos are going to town on that little house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Hick definitely has a knack for construction. He built our BARn right after we bought the land. HOS was only 13 when Hick had him crawling on the rafters, attaching the metal roofing.

      Delete