Sunday, October 18, 2015

A Val's Gotta Do What a Val's Gotta Do

I need to get up from my rolly chair at my Hick-made desk in my dark basement lair. Get up, before my skin grows to the fabric. I have been a self-sentenced prisoner today. I locked myself up and threw away the key, my release dependent on the composition of eight blog posts. EIGHT! This is the eighth one. Cut me some slack.

The upcoming week is a busy one for Val. Fraught with work commitments, Pony commitments, and...well...that's about it. The Pony has an appointment Monday evening, parent conferences are scheduled for Tuesday until 7:00, Wednesday is The Pony's practice day for Scholar Bowl plus a good TV night kicking off with Survivor at 7:00, and Thursday is another conference night. That means Val will be strapped for time, considering her duty as chauffeur, a home-ride of 40 minutes, some kind of dinner to throw together, dishes that don't wash themselves, and that problematic schoolwork that doesn't grade itself. AND, lest you forget, Val posts on this blog and her superdupersecret blog every day. Something had to give. And it was Val's Sunday afternoon and evening.

Now I have seven posts in the can, and this one. Set to publish at preassigned times, unless my old pal Blogger betrays me. You'd think one as productive as Val (when she puts her nose to the grindstone and her pedal to the metal and applies herself to the project at hand) could get a book together from her greatest hits.

One would be overly optimistic.

Perhaps in her own sweet time, such as the time that comes at the end of May next year, the time that Val will no longer be under the employ of an outside entity, but only working for she, herself, and...um...SHE...the project can get underway. With a vengeance.

What else does she have to do with the rest of her life?

12 comments:

  1. There is always the Hand-basket Company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I must not neglect my future, nor that of the world!

      Delete
  2. I bet you'll still have a lot going on even after retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this like one of those "breathtaking" kind of statements? Like, I think you are supposing I actually have friends who would hang out with me, and my life would be a whirlwind of social engagements? When in reality, you are pointing out that I would fritter away my time and STILL not get a book together? Hmm...the nuance of the spoken word is lost in print!

      Delete
  3. With all that goes on around you (especially Hick) I doubt you'll ever get bored!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hugely impressed and wish that I had your level of commitment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you don't have to be impressed. You haven't read those other seven posts. As Abby told that little kidney girl on an episode of ER, "I am technically proficient, despite certain attitude issues."

      Delete
  5. You are echoing my famous last words, and I have yet to begin. You are one busy teacher, mama, wife, writer...and all the other hats you wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I can take a little vacation before I start! I could do a lot worse than to follow in your footsteps.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a Val's got a lot to do. I too am impressed at your organizational skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What Val really has is a lot of doo-doo. But she's an organizing fool!

      Delete