Friday, October 16, 2015

Not Worth a Trip Across the Universe

Hick sent me an email last night from the front yard about the progress on his Bottle Depository.

"Got my siding on the front this evening."

Sometimes Val is a little slow on the uptake. I could have sworn he said he got his sliding door put in. I looked at the picture. Well...that COULD be a sliding door. To give him more room inside for shelves and bottles. Like a pocket door. So no bottles get broken when somebody flings that door open to have a look-see. Don't know why that door opens IN. It could be kicked in! And all the bottles stolen! Then again, if the door opened out, the hinges could be take out, and entrance gained, and all the bottles stolen! Darned if he does, darned if he doesn't.

Anyhoo...I looked at that email again today and realized that it said SIDING. Not sliding. Have I mentioned that these are the worst glasses EVER? And look! Hick even has a porch on his bottle depository.

Since misinterpreting Hick's message, I began to doubt myself. Until this evening, when he sent me a text that said, "Nice pictures." A slideshow accompanied the message. A slideshow that was nothing but a black screen. The Pony opened it for me because I was driving T-Hoe home from work and Save A Lot.

"It's got a message, Mom, that says 'Nice pictures.' But the slideshow is pure black. No picture."

"Send him one that says, 'What's that all about?'"

"That's all? 'What's that all about?'"

"Yes."

Soon another message came in when I pulled into the garage.

"What's WHAT about? I guess you mean the pictures. The Veteran sent them to me earlier."

"They are black nothing. He sent them to me, too, but I saw his daughter. YOU don't know how to send a picture."

"I didn't try to send them I was trying to tell him good pictures."

"You sent ME a slideshow of black saying nice pictures."

"Sorry stupid phone or stupid me." Let the record show that he tried to use an emoji after that, but it only came in as a sad rectangle.

We are not a very advanced family. Just so the aliens know, when they come to abduct us. They can do better.

8 comments:

  1. I'd say advanced. I've been looking for the sad rectangle for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're just saying that to direct the aliens away from you and towards ME! I asked The Pony if I should ask Hick what that sad rectangle was supposed to represent. The Pony said I shouldn't. That maybe it was just an emoji that my phone couldn't accept. Huh. Blaming the victim for the Hick-moji.

      Delete
  2. Just so the aliens know, when they come to abduct us. They can do better.

    This is a fantastic pitch for a book based on your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a most scathingly brilliant idea!

      And a statement to the sad-rectangled state of Thevictorian everyday life!

      Delete
  3. The more we open Pandora's box the more confusion flies out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If "Pandora's box" is a euphemism for technology, I heartily agree. If "Pandora's box" is a euphemism for Hick's mouth, I heartily agree. If "Pandora's box" is a euphemism for Val's typing fingers, I must disagree (which is not to say it's untruthful) on general principle.

      Delete
  4. Yep, they have to be related, your s and mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Woe are the folks who live between us, who will be abducted by the aliens!

      Delete