Friday, October 30, 2015

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Bitter

Ack! Such a day I have had!

I dropped off The Pony at school, then headed back home for an hour until time to leave for my doctor's appointment. I might as well have relaxed at home for two hours, because I was not called in until 11:35 for my 10:45 appointment.

On the way up to the 4th floor office, I shared an elevator with a cheery gray-haired lady going to the 3rd floor. She took it upon herself to become my best friend for two floors. "Oh! You're going up to the FOURTH floor! I'm only going to three." Just then the door opened at the 2nd floor. She turned to look at the keypad. I assured her that she had hit the right button. Ours were the only two lit up. On we went, with her telling me somebody must have changed their mind. When she arrived at her destination, she said, "And you continue to have a very nice day." My new best friend.

The waiting room was blessedly empty of children, hackers, and close-talkers. I had a book to while away 50 minutes. I felt like I won the lottery when I was finally called back. Until I stepped on the scale, and the nurse thought it was broken because my weight was TOO LIGHT for her satisfaction. Yeah. What kind of insult is THAT? We got back to the exam room, and she said, "What does your scale at home say?" I told her it said 14 pounds more than her fancy-schmancy balance scale, but it was a spring scale, about 15 years old, and sometimes does not even come on until you stomp it. So you know what she said? She said, "I think we should put what your scale says. Ours must be broken. I don't think that was your weight." I am shocked that she didn't burst into a chorus of "Fatty Fatty Two-By-Four."

The doctor came in to see me, and after handing me a copy of my lab results, turned to walk out in the hall, leaving the door open and his assistant with me, while he got a chewing out from his office manager about the way he codes his lab tests. We had a bit of a dust-up when I disagreed with one of his lab result interpretations. Not enough for him to care more than the five minutes allotted to my health.

Outside, I proceeded to my T-Hoe, sandwiched between two mini-mobiles that were close-parkers. I swear. The two of them could have fit into one space together. I don't know why they had to get so close. T-Hoe and Val are quite popular with weirdos.

On the way to my car, I had to stop for the lazy people shuttle. He kept sitting there, blocking my way across the aisle. Then he pulled up two cars and stopped. I figured he was picking up some lazybones. But no. HE STARTED BACKING UP! Beeping. And BACKING UP. I was already halfway across. I tried to run, even with my FluShotKnee. All I needed was to get injured in front of the hospital and have to wait for them to call the ambulance from another part of the county to transport me to the ER on the other side of the building.

On the way home, I was caught up in the THIRD batch of road construction on this trip. Every route needs a patch of concrete, I guess.

When I got home, the dogs did not even get up to greet me. They lay in the front yard. Juno at least turned her head and looked into my eyes, like, "What are YOU doing here?" Not so sweet, my loyal companion.

AND, sitting in the La-Z-Boy for the hour I had left before leaving to pick up The Pony at school...I saw a woodpecker hopping up the cedar porch post. A WOODPECKER! With me a scant 10 feet away on the other side of the glass. That is quite disrespectful in my book.

I might as well have been at work.

10 comments:

  1. That's just a day off, you'd better figure it out by retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can simply stay home, and shun the dogs if they are insolent.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like Hick has changed his name to Rodney...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick? HICK? What's Hick got to do with it, Madam? This is about me! ME! Nobody not-respects Hick except me. But I am not-respected by the doctor, the nurse, two types of scales, a pair of tiny-car drivers, three road crews, a lazy-people shuttle-driver, my own (formerly) Sweet, Sweet Juno, and a four-toed fowl pecking the cedar out of my porch post.

      VAL is the new Rodney. She don't get no respect.

      Delete
  3. I'd have been happy if the doctor's sc ale said I weighed fourteen pounds less than I do, and I wouldn't have cared if it were true or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see it as a happy accident. Val sees it as a mocker, mocking. Here's a half-full glass of water for you. Enjoy.

      Delete
  4. I hope your weekend is better than your day off, and the nerve of that nurse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good. And I have that extra hour coming up!

      That nurse was so caught up in telling me about herself, I'm surprised she didn't take her own temperature. But that might have slowed her talking. EVERY time I'm there, my thyroid scar spurs her to tell me the story of her own thyroid removal. At seventeen. And how she had 11 stitches, and some kids called her Frankenstein, and her mom couldn't help her wash her long hair because she couldn't lean her head back. Next time, maybe I'll tell her all about her surgery, so she can concentrate on what she's doing.

      Delete