Monday, October 12, 2015

Everything Old Is Still Old Again

The Pony is getting a new phone. Not that he wants one. He's fine with one of Genius's hand-me-downs, because Genius always gets the state-of-the-art newest gadget that comes out. However...The Pony's current phone has been having issues. He's fine with getting his internet cut off intermittently (he tethers to that phone for unlimited internet which he uses to play games about 12 hours a day), because all he has to do is trot upstairs where he leaves it by the window to soak up as much signal as possible, and jiggle the power cord. The problem is: we can't talk to him on the phone.

Oh, we can call him. And he answers. And we hear him talk. But he sounds like he's eating a mouthful of crackers and marshmallows while training in NASA's deep water tank.

I sent Genius an SOS yesterday morning regarding a new phone. Genius loves dealing with gadgets. And his dad and I are technology simpletons. In fact, while texting Genius this afternoon from my dark basement lair, I knocked my cell phone (an even older cast-off of Genius) off the counter and it separated into three pieces that The Pony had to round up for me and reassemble. Which speaks volumes to my tech-savviness.

So anyway. The Pony is getting a new phone. Courtesy of Genius's know-how and the earning capacity of Hick (2/3) and Val (1/3).

Genius further reported that he is not sure if The Pony will be able to get unlimited internet with this phone, and that if he can't, that's just too bad, because he has no time to learn how to jailbreak a new phone. Even when offered compensation for his time, Genius insisted that he HAS NO TIME. Oh, and that he raised $61,000 on his trip to California. Which is almost half a solar car. He furthermore stated that he has been given a raise of 10% for his January-June internship for which he is taking a semester off. AND a new title of Engineer I rather than Intern.

They don't stay little long. And their phones don't last forever.

8 comments:

  1. I'm not worried about climate change, I'm pretty sure Genius will solve the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, first there has to be something in it for Genius.

      Delete
  2. He'll at least figure out how to "jailbreak" it, if that is the correct term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only he could find the time!

      Yes. Jailbreak. To let it out of its prison to enjoy all that the world has to offer.

      Delete
  3. The term "jail break it" is new to me, but I guess it's self explanatory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait. Are you even less tech savvy that Val? Jailbreak is the lingo, Daddy-O. The kids have been using it for nigh on ten years now. It's the cat's pajamas.

      Delete
  4. I have Big D's old phone which invariably tells me that the SD card has been removed every time I want to take a photo - (it hasn't) so I have to turn the phone off and back on before it will find it again usually missing any photo opportunity. It's hugely frustrating and SD keeps offering to buy me a new phone but I know how to use this one even with it's foibles so I put up with it even though it drives me mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think how many photos you would miss if you were trying to take them on a NEW phone! Uh huh. That turning off and on thing is just a minor issue.

      Delete