Thursday, March 26, 2015

Lady Chattel-ly's Sister



In cleaning out Mom’s safe, my sister the ex-mayor’s wife and I found an old legal paper labeled “CHATTEL MORTGAGE, With Power of Sale.” It was for One 1960 Alstates Skyrocket 50’ House Trailer, Serial #XXXXX. Come on. You didn’t think I’d give the actual serial number, did you? That thing might still be out there somewhere. Yes, that was my childhood home, though not the first, because I am told we used to rent a house up by the elementary school.

Anyhoo, this deal was between my dad and his mom and dad, for $60 per month, due on the 28th, including 6% interest. In the event that there was a default in payment, whole or part, the entire amount became immediately due and payable, and his parents would take possession of our home. Talk about tough love, baby! This document was stamped and filed by the recorder of deeds.

So we got to looking at it, and Sis said, “I missed the first night in our trailer. I was at the hospital being born.”

“Ahem. I was 18 months old then. HELLO! I don’t think I spent the night there alone, because I’m pretty sure Dad would have taken Mom to the hospital and waited for your grand entrance.”

Sheesh! It ain’t all about you, you know!

6 comments:

  1. With people like that, it IS all about them. You still haven't figured that out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure your dad went? Your mom probably didn't want to be any bother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sibling rivalry is alive and well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sioux,
    I'm gradually catching on. I can't believe she's bitter about missing the first night in a 50-foot trailer. It must not have had any mud on the side.

    *****
    Stephen,
    Sis leaves a bit to be desired as half of a comedy team, but I'm trying to work with her.

    ******
    joeh,
    That sound plausible. I DO remember her saying she got five days in the hospital after having each of us, which was only to show the outrageousness of me being allowed a scant 24 hours before discharge after having Genius. By the time The Pony was trotted out, the insurance companies had reconsidered, and I was allowed 48 hours.

    *****
    Linda,
    We've had many, MANY years to develop our dynamic.

    *****
    Broad,
    From the day she was born, through those years when she called me around the corner to "tell me a secret" and clapped her hands together and screamed that I hit her...we have waged battle.

    ReplyDelete