Friday, March 20, 2015

Oh Won't Yooooou...Show Me the Way

Genius is in the midst of a road trip. No, he's not with those Delta House boys, picking up Fawn Liebowitz (or her roommate as a stand-in after that unfortunate kiln accident) and driving to a roadhouse where they will  have their dates danced with. Nope. He's on his way to Ann Arbor for a solar car meeting. He's a big fish in the solar car pond of his college.

Apparently, this trip was nearly a 14-hour drive. Genius called me last night to say they had stopped, and were about four hours away from their destination. This morning he sent me a text to say that there was snow in Ohio.

WHAT?

Since when was Ohio on the way to Michigan? I brought up the subject at the faculty lunch table. Just to find out, you know, if Genius was lost. He was the official driver for this trip. A kind soul took out his cell phone and showed me that yes, Ann Arbor is just across the border from Dayton. Really!

I sent Genius a text. "I was really worried that you took a wrong turn. Then an old history teacher showed me on his phone that you DO go through Ohio to get to Michigan. Huh. I haven't been so shocked since I leaned (last year) that England is an ISLAND!"

Several hours later Genius sent another text. I don't know that because I am on my phone all the live-long work day, but because I can turn it on at lunch and after school and see who has tried to reach me. So Genius said, "That's okay. I thought Iowa and Indiana were reversed. Until this trip."

Heh, heh. I guess Genius spent all that time worried that his Garmin was leading him astray, what with heading east instead of north from his college. And I suppose he did not want to question its authority, since he has a sweet internship deal with Garmin this summer. In Kansas.

I hope he can find his way there.

This geography thing seems to be hereditary. If only scientists could isolate the locus of that DNA sequence, and start working on a cure! In the meantime, all us smart people will be unable to locate each other to propagate the species, and people like Hick will get together and populate the world.

Handbasket Factory: Opening Soon

9 comments:

  1. I'm not sure, what is a hand basket, and why do I need one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A handbasket is something for going to Hell in!!

      Delete
    2. Well, well, well...it appears that our Mr. H plans on going the other direction!

      Delete
  2. Your Animal House reference reminds me that our son went to the U of O where much of that movie was filmed. I always think of poor Fawn when visiting the so-called "Faber" campus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The future: BarNs dotted across the landscape and brilliant wanderers gallivanting in all directions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect your last line is already coming true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And yeah, I know...You're friends with Frampton. I just forgot to mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You think it's weird to go through Ohio to get to Michigan, but did you know Detroit is north of Canada? Yeah, Baby I love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephen,
    Do you also visualize that big cake with EAT ME written on the side? Because I do.

    *****
    Linda,
    I think you have just described the Apocalypse. Or the Apopadopalyspe, as Hick pronounces it.

    *****
    Tammy,
    YIKES! The Apocalypse is here!

    *****
    Sioux,
    Just keeping you on your toes, Madam.

    *****
    Leenie,
    Huh! What's THAT all aboot, eh? I did not know that! And remember, that comes from the valedictorian who only last year found out that England is an island.

    ReplyDelete