Thursday, March 12, 2015

Call Me Crazy, Maybe

Yesterday was beautiful, temps in the 70s, bright sunshine. I scurried outside 14 minutes after last bell, when my contracted minutes are over for the day, to head to the post office while The Pony was at Scholar Bowl practice. The trip was actually for him, because he wanted me to mail his four recent string designs to his paramour. String designs are done on colored cardboard, with colored string strung through specific coordinates. It's a math thing. And since his paramour had a birthday today, The Pony wanted to offer her something special. No card. No poem. No note. Just four string designs in a big flap envelope: a flower, a snowflake, some hearts, and a paddlewheel. That's how he does things.

I returned minus $9.80 for a book of stamps, $1.71 for the string designs, and 42 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. The Pony finished his practice, and we headed out to T-Hoe for our weekly trip to pick up Dominos pizza. No warming food in the oven or heating it in the microwave on Wednesdays. That's a late day due to practice, and Survivor starts at 7:00. Nor did we have time to drive out to Mom's house and adjust the lights and shades like we did on Tuesday.

The Pony had been penned inside all day, and grew a bit frisky as we exited the building.

"Oh, wow! It's so nice, you put the windows down!"

Let the record show that I cracked (heh heh I said CRACKed) each of the four windows about two inches. I'm not leaving my car windows down, even on the school parking lot after final bell in the closest parking space to the surveillance camera. No sirree, Bob! My momma didn't raise a fool, nor a trusting naive rube. I hoisted myself into the driver's seat, and The Pony clambered in behind me.

"Hey! Look! A ladybug! It's on the back of your headrest. I'll put it out."

"Can you throw away this receipt from the post office? It says your package will be at her house on Friday, but the lady at the counter said Saturday."

"Just a minute. I'm still working with the ladybug. I took a McDonald's receipt out of the trash bag. Come on. Climb on there. There you go, out the window. Go! It won't let go. Go on. Fly away! Okay. Finally!"

Yeah. Say that I'm crazy. How many times before have I found two ladybugs in my house and one in my car in a two-week period? Never. Until now. Mom's ladybugs have found me. Oh, yeah. The date was the 11th. My birthday is on the 11th. Of LAST month.

I'm pickin' up what somebody's layin' down.



9 comments:

  1. I'm convinced. Hey, I'm a big "Long Island Medium fan."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say "Hi" to your mom's ladybugs for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me thinks you have some "schmaltz" in you, enough to write a Chicken Soup for the Soul story. The next time a theme comes up that would go with your ladybug stories, you should write and submit one...

    After all, snarky will only get you so far. I've ridden that train about as far as I can...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These ladybugs must be a reassuring reminder that your mom is always nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. joeh,
    I used to watch it, but it was too sad sometimes. Just an interesting coincidence, all these ladybugs now.

    fishducky,
    I'll relay it next time I talk to her. Which I had done a lot of, solitarily, the day before the T-Hoe ladybug.

    *****
    Sioux,
    I have a lot of something in me, because more than once, people have told me I'm full of it. I can tone it down if I have to, I just don't enjoy it as much as being a...well...you know. The word a college friend once called my sister the future ex-mayor's wife. I suppose I will be on the lookout for such a theme. Don't cost nothin'.

    *****
    Stephen,
    Thank you for not calling me crazy. Like The Pony exclaimed at the sight of the first ladybug, it's a reminder. I can't NOT think of her when I see a ladybug. Or eat slaw. Or drive to a neighboring town on Bill-Paying Friday. Or see some news about the St. Louis Cardinals. Actually, I am reminded of her a lot right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No such thing as coincidence. She's sending her love on ladybug wings. Smile and say hi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      They certainly get my attention. I suppose one here and there are much better than the whole drop-ceiling falling on my head. I'm glad Mom was never a drama queen.

      Delete
  7. Ladybugs! I like your mom's subtlety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy,
      Well, she had a whole drop-ceiling full of them at her disposal. I guess they could be her minions, spreading her legacy of good will and encouragement.

      Delete